->''"Spring Is Here."''
-->-- '''The words of [[DysfunctionalFamily House Subtle]]'''
Josh Rain is an extremely formulaic high fantasy series about the adventures of Josh Rain and his loyal companion Sleet the wildcat on THE DOOR, a ship guarding the land of easteros from giant squid. Meanwhile, on the mainland, his half siblings struggle for power against evil queens and princess and ladies...etc.
* ActionGirl: Anya Subtle, Igrette and Bryanna are major examples, though there are others.
** Like all of the Beach Lizards, Umberto Marcell's 10 daughters.
* BadassPrincess: Alianna Marcell
** Although her crush on Lightsun makes her a bit of a FauxActionGirl. Poor Aaron Sprucebrain.
* BondCreature: Sleet, Josh's noisy and normal looking wildcat
* ByronicHero: Beigehappiness, James Lancaster
* CoolPet: Sleet, again. Danni has five unicorns, but she can't control them, and they run around trying to gore people through the heart.
* DeadlyDecadentCourt: The Velvet Cushion in Queensport.
* DemotedToExtra: In the tv adaptation, this is the fate of Kate's uncle, The Achromatictrout. In the show, during scenes at Creektrot you'll only see an extra who looks like he could be him. While in the book he's [[EnsembleDarkhorse the most badass character ever]].
* DepravedBisexual: Danni and Ceecee, with an emphasis on the depraved. Also Umberto Marcell.
* EvilMatriarch: Kate Subtle and Ceecee Benetton are the worst examples, but there are many more.
* GeniusBruiser: Josh Rain knows everything.
* GodSaveUsFromTheQueen: Every single female ruler in the series is evil.
* GoldDigger: Shelley, Tyler Lancaster's mistress, fits the bill. Some argue Jaclyn Oesterner had similar motives for [[spoiler: marrying Ron Subtle]], though it's currently unclear within the text.
* HeroicBastard: Josh Rain.
* Jerkass Woobie: James Lancaster
* LesYay: Rosemary and Lucy.
* MagicAIsMagicA: Magic is easy to learn and reliable. and over-freaking-used.
* MartyStu: Some fans accuse Josh and Ron of being stus. These fans are wrong.
* MeaningfulName: Ted, Kate, Ron, Lucy, Anya, Brian, and Dick Subtle.
* MildlyMilitary: While the Day's Unwatch is supposed be a pun on "on watch", un-watch suits them much better.
* PhraseCatcher: "Wowwww, You know everything, Josh Rain!"
* PsychoLesbian: Rosemary Tyrone. and yet people still ship her with Jethro, Josh, and Ron
* RaceLift: Keira Knightley was a popular fancast for Jaclyn, so fans were SHOCKED when they cast her as Katerina Graham.
* ResurrectionSickness: Every time Taurus of Beer brings Derik Carrion back to life, Derik spends at least a day sounding like he's stoned.
* TheScrappy: Lucy Subtle, Kate Subtle and Ceecee Benetton but then..they are evil. Jaclyn Oesterner
* SexForSolace: Jaclyn 'comforts' Ron after [[spoiler: he learns Beigehappiness has 'murdered' his two brothers.]]
* SmugSnake: Bigthumb isn't half as good as you think he is.
* Twincest: [[spoiler: Ceecee and James Bannister. Ted found out. It didn't go well for him.]]
* WhamEpisode: [[spoiler: The Blue Breakfast, when Jaclyn and Kate arranged for Ron and all his friends to be strangled over two towering plates of french fries]]
* YaoiGuys: Rowley and Lorax.