* The sound of a [[HeartbeatSoundtrack heart]] [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_LowHealth.wav beating]] - often the last heart worth of health you have. At first, it's slightly annoying. But when you are stuck in a dungeon and you annoyingly ''can't'' find any health anywhere, it becomes truly terrifying.
** If, at any time while your health is low, you let Link stand idle, he doubles over with his hands on his knees and begins [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_YoungLink_Huff1.wav desperately gasping for air]]. You '''will''' find a heart for this boy '''somewhere'''.
* From the first game, the sound of the level boss roaring in the next room...
* [[GameOver GAME OVER!! ]][[TheLegendOfZeldaIITheAdventureOfLink RETURN OF GANON!]] [[EvilLaugh HA HA HA!]]
* Wall Masters. Doesn't matter which game, they're ALWAYS making some freaky-ass noise, [[ParanoiaFuel sometimes from a different room entirely]].
* [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_ReDead_Moan.wav The moaning and groaning that fills the area when there are Gibdos and ReDeads nearby.]]
* The most horrifying sound from ''Ocarina of Time''? [[StopHelpingMe ''Hey! Listen!'']]
* [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_ReDead_Scream.wav The ReDead's paralyzing scream.]]
* How about when you are in the Great Deku tree, and you enter the room where the boss Queen Gohma is? You stand there for a while in the darkness and you hear [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_Gohma_Crawl3.wav a scratching sound]] around you. You look up and see Queen Gohma who is ''a giant hairy spider with one horrible eye crawling around on the ceiling''.
* [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_Skullwalltula_Turn.wav The Gold Skulltula scratching. You'll want to get the token just to make it stop.]] SHINK SHINK SHINK SHINK SHINK-
* The flapping of Keese wings, especially in packs. Even more so when it suddenly stops and you know you're getting dive bombed.
* The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhW_UT9_TBE battle theme]]. You're just walking around someplace (sometimes at night when there's no music), and all of a sudden, this music fades in and next thing you're thinking is "Where is it? Where is it? ''Where is it?!''" [[note]]One particular instance is in the Zora's Fountain by the Fairy Fountain, if it's night. The music will play over and over if you're staying around the grey rocks and no enemy is visible at first, so some serious ParanoiaFuel kicks in. [[spoiler: The enemies are actually Skulltullas underground, on a path blocked by the grey rocks in question, only accessible after getting the Silver Gauntlets.]][[/note]]
* Hyrule Field's music is a VariableMix. When you encounter an enemy in an area that uses it, the music smoothly transists to [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8Y7hdD6Qk&t=2m37s a more unsettling section of the piece]]. That's your cue to shudder, especially if you don't know where the enemy in question is.
* On the way to the Forest Temple, you have to make your way through a maze of Moblins. They make some bizarre sounds, that strange mechanical grumbling when they're walking and the [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_Moblin_Roar.wav "GRRRNT!"]] when they charge at you, looking like they're about to skewer poor Link on their spears.
* [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_Wallmaster_Shadow.wav The sound of a Wallmaster descending from the ceiling,]] especially if you only begin to notice it right before it's on top of you.
* [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_LikeLike_Move.wav The sound that a Like Like (and a torch slug) makes.]]
* The sound of the Dead Hand [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_DeadHand_Walk.wav moving]], or maybe not as that also means it is as vulnerable as you.
* The chilling sound of the guillotine traps in the Shadow Temple rising up on chains, "rattle......raaaatle...," then falling down with a sickening "KAR-''CHOP!!!''"
* Bongo Bongo's... vocal... [[http://soundfxcenter.com/download-sound/ocarina-of-time-bongo-bongo-murmur-sound-effect/ noise...]] [[NightmareFuel is the single creepiest thing outside of the ReDeads]]. It almost sounds like "I want to die". Good god, it's really chilling when you play it over and over.
* Subverted by the four giants who make sounds similar to Bongo Bongo, an enemy from the previous game, but are not malicious.
* The gong bell strikes, which remind of how many hours are left until the end of the world.
* The music that plays around midnight on the final day when the countdown begins to signify the time left before the moon falls. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knLCbS02T1Y Bonus points for being depressing as well as scary.]]
* The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IsIB5L1emg&t=1m40s shriek]] that the Skull Kid lets out, which means the moon is falling faster.
* The [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/MM/MM_HMS_Laugh_Echo.wav Happy Mask Salesman's laugh]] also qualifies, as you hear it if you fail to stop the world's end.
* Even the Clock Town music gets terrifying when the third day rolls around. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOk0I-1K_bo The sped up mandolin, flute, and accordion playing the theme twice as fast as Day 1 or Day 2, accompanied with a discordant organ looming behind the normally cheerful theme]] makes you really want to hurry up and skip back to Day 1.
* You know how [=OoT=]'s battle-music can be frightening? That one from Majora's Mask is [[UpToEleven much worse]]. At first, it starts off pretty low-key, but quickly descends into something more sinister, quite fittingly for the darker atmosphere, while at the same time being [[SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic awesome]]. [[ShmuckBait You can hear it]] [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vdTR30T_0 here]].
* In Woodfall Temple, how about those plant-like platforms to get over the poisonous water? Not only did they have teeth, not only did they have a blood-red, gaping mouth ready to snap you up, but they made a horrible fleshy gurgle every time you jump on them.
* The Crying Baby Goron from the Goron Village. HellIsThatNoise even for the in-game villagers.
* Wall Masters and Redead noises are more pronounced now, which at least means you will be less likely not to hear hell coming.
* The Wizzrobes teleporting.
* The sound the Miniblins make. You're in a quiet empty place, when suddenly you hear [[http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/WW_Rips/WW_Miniblin_Poke.wav "DA-DUN"]] over and over again as Miniblins swarm from nowhere, coming from behind you and even ''walking down walls'' in numbers rivaling ants.
* The bird-like enemies in the Twilight areas. What with the trumpet-bell-like things they have in place of heads that they use to make a distinctive creepy noise. Since your horse cannot even outrun them, at least you will know when they are coming.
* Crossing the soldier-ghost room in the final dungeon will leave you only managing a sickened staggering motion across some quick sand and hearing a furious, eerie chitchatting surrounding you. Turns out that you are ''covered with lots of invisible rats''. Your partner will visible freak out to if active.
* What about the blood-curdling shriek the Twilit Messengers make when they resurrect their comrades? Link and Midna being completely immobilized by it helps.
* The battle theme in the Twilight Realm. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb7Evy9GCng It literally has no melody, it's just...there.]]
* Equally unsettling is the background music from the City in the Sky. All that soft melody, along with the occasional eerie children-like humming...
* ZANT'S HAND. That whole segment runs on NightmareFuel. You pull an orb of light from a statue eerily similar to a human hand, then get about 10 feet away when...it springs to life looking to take back its prize...accompanied by freaky warbling noises. Now, the hand will follow you ''all the way to the entrance of the castle.'' But that's ''not'' the scary part. Whenever Zant's Hand approaches, you can faintly hear unnerving musical stings. As it nears, they become sharp musical screeches that grow increasingly louder, [[ParanoiaFuel dire]], and menacing. If it gets too loud... you're about to watch the orb get whisked away by that [[AddedAlliterativeAppeal deranged, disembodied, diabolical]] schizo-tech monstrosity!!! '''''[[OhCrap RUN!!!!]]'''''
* Rocktites are already annoying enough to beat on their own. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50EpYW_lkQ But you will learn to fear the music that means it's getting closer and closer and CLOSER AND-]] GAMEOVER.
* The war horns of the Bokoblins. Particularly during the [[ZergRush semi-finale of the game.]]
* They're usually silent, but let a Cursed Bokoblin cling to you for too long, and it lets out a horrifying, deep roar. It's especially jarring on account of how different it sounds from a living Bokoblin's rather shrill and comical-sounding voice.
* That all too sudden tone of your defenses falling away in the Spirit Trials. The slow, soothing music ends abruptly in this drawn out tone, and the Guardians' eyes come to life. Suddenly the sky's turn a hellish orange and the constant clanging of metal against metal is ringing in your ear as the invincible guardians either slowly float after you or chase you down at high speeds...''make it stop!''