* Bursar watching the man draw.
--> It was, as he remembered later, whenever he was in a state to remember anything, one of the happiest times of his life.
* Bill Rincewind promising to "send a card at Hogswatch, and clothing that doesn't fit." Aww.
* Rincewind [[spoiler: finally going home in the end, without incident.]]
* Death dropping in for a casual visit with Rincewind. It seems that after being confounded by him for so long, he's actually developed some affection for him.
* Rincewind digging for water for a herd of sheep. For once, he does something completely selfless; it's extremely hard work and there's nothing in it for him if he succeeds, beyond knowing he didn't leave a bunch of animals to die of thirst.