This page is for examples specific to the first film, as well as any tie in ''Shrek'' media without its own page. Please keep examples for the other films on their own separate pages.
* First it subverts TrueLovesKiss: [[spoiler: Shrek and Fiona finally confess their love for each other and kiss. Instead of it freeing Fiona from being an ogress when the sun goes down, it makes her an ogress '''permanently'''.]] Fiona, while not exactly disappointed, is still puzzled because, as she claims, "I'm supposed to be beautiful." Shrek just smiles and says, with full and honest sincerity, "But you ''are'' beautiful." (Now CUE I'M A BELIEVER!!!)
** FridgeBrilliance at work here. [[spoiler: Ogres are considered ugly by human standards, and probably vice versa for humans to ogres. But Fiona as an Ogress? Smoking hot by Shrek's standards! Subsequent movies also play up the fact that Fiona's much more at home in her skin as an ogress than she ever was as a human (and a princess at that). Being true to one's self is definitely more attractive than pretense.]]
*** Realizing that a human woman wouldn't be all that attractive to an ogre makes the fact that Shrek fell in love with Fiona while she was still a human an especially sweet bit of [[CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming Heartwarming]] FridgeBrilliance. Yet another nice, more subtle twist to the BeastAndBeauty tale.
*** And the point is driven home perfectly with the karaoke short when Shrek serenades with Music/BillyJoel's "Just the Way You Are"
* When Shrek and Donkey first meet, Shrek tries (in vain) to scare Donkey off. Soon he just flat out asks why the little mule won't git:
-->'''Shrek:''' Listen, little donkey, take a look at me! What am I?
-->'''Donkey:''' Uhhh... [[AreYouPonderingWhatImPondering Really tall?]]
-->'''Shrek:''' No! I'm an ogre! You know, "Grab your torch and pitchforks!" Doesn't that bother you?
-->'''Donkey:''' ''(shakes his head)'' Nope.
-->'''Shrek:''' ''(Surprised)'' [[DidntSeeThatComing ...Really?]]
-->'''Donkey:''' Really really.
** It's the look on Shrek's face that counts. As we learn later on, Donkey's probably the first person to NOT treat Shrek like [[HeroWithBadPublicity a menace to society]].
* Also a bit later, when Shrek laments what he's better off alone because people judge him before getting to know him.
-->'''Donkey:''' You know what...When we met, I didn't think you was just a big, stupid, ugly ogre.
-->'''Shrek:''' Yeah, I know.
** After Shrek and Donkey have their misunderstanding, Donkey still goes back to Shrek's swamp and is willing to reconcile with him saying "That's what friends do! They forgive each other!" Then later after Shrek apologizes for his treatment of Donkey, he says "Hey that's what friends are for, right?" They shake hands and genuinely become best friends.
*** The whole relationship between Shrek and Donkey is heartwarming. At first, Shrek sees Donkey as a nuisance and tries to shove him away. But Donkey liked Shrek and did everything he could to become his friend. His persistence is what cracks through Shrek's tough shell and allows him to accept love in his life.
** Without Donkey coming back and clearing things up, Shrek and Fiona probably never would've seen each other again.
* The scene when Shrek is practicing what he is going to say to Fiona when he admits his feelings to her. It's clear this is something he doesn't have much experience with. Shrek, someone who portrayed himself as the scarer, is now the scar''ee'', tripping over his words. It's actually quite sweet.
* For the Karaoke Dance Party postscript, the moment when Shrek serenades Fiona with Music/BillyJoel's "Just the Way You Are" is deeply charming with the opening lines like "Don't go changing to try and please me/You've never let me down before..."
* While taking a drink at a river, Donkey sees the now heartbroken dragon crying and walks on over to console her.
* When Shrek gives all of Farquaad's knights what amounts to a CurbStompBattle, the way the crowd reacts with massive cheers a la a WWE match starting, Shrek playfully acts with it. It's truly heartwarming when you realize that this is probably the first time Shrek has ever gotten a positive reaction out of an established society, even after taking down the people meant to protect it. Cue VictoryPose and LargeHam from Shrek as he tries to milk the moment for what it's worth, at least until Farquaad's knights armed with crossbows ruin the moment.
* After Fiona discovers that Shrek is an ogre, she's initially as dismissive of him as everyone else. But after overhearing him telling Donkey how people judge him without even knowing him, she clearly realizes that she hasn't treated him fairly, so the next morning, she prepares breakfast as an apology.
* Shrek telling his own version of ''The Night Before Christmas'' at the end of ''Shrek the Halls''.