* "Earn this."
* General Marshall reads a letter he keeps written by an [[AbrahamLincoln A.Lincoln]] to a Mrs. Bixby who lost 5 sons during the Civil War. Noting the tragedy that no mother should lose all of her sons, Marshall looks at his officers and says "We are going to find Private Ryan, and we are going to get him the hell out of there."
* At the end, when [[spoiler:Ryan]] looks at his wife and asks her if he had deserved this, if he had lived a good life...
* When Mellish talks with Upham before the finale. It's hardly sappy, but at least someone explained [[spoiler:FUBAR]] to the NaiveNewcomer.
* When Miller's team spend the night in a church. Reiben and Wade share stories about their mothers while Wade re-writes Caparzo's [[spoiler:blood-stained letter to his father]] onto a clean sheet of paper. All the while, FriendlySniper Private Jackson is curled up and snoozing nearby.
* In the lead-up to the movie's end, [[spoiler:a few of the soldiers are listening to a French record while Upham translates.]]
* Just as Reiben's [[spoiler:about to go AWOL on the team]], he wordlessly rejoins them and helps to [[spoiler:bury Wade.]]
* The one time Reiben calls Jackson 'Bumpkin' will make you smile.