* This isn't exactly a feel-good movie, but there are a few moments, like when Ofelia stands up for her baby brother. [[spoiler:[[BittersweetEnding Unfortunately this doesn't turn out very well, but at least she passed the final test]]]].
* The whole relationship that develops between Ofelia and Mercedes is very sweet. At times it seems to turn into a full blown mother/daughter relationship, considering the fact Ofelia's own mother is too weak from her pregnancy to really be there for her daughter. Mercedes is really the only one throughout the movie who is consistently kind to Ofelia and goes MamaBear on Vidal:
-->'''Mercedes''': [[PrecisionFStrike Motherfucker...]] [[MamaBear Don't you dare touch the girl.]] [[CrowningMomentOfAwesome You won't be the first pig I've gutted!]]
** [[spoiler:It just makes the ending an even bigger TearJerker as Ofelia bleeds out in [[DiedInYourArmsTonight Mercedes' arms.]]]]
* The Faun's words at the end of the film:
--->[[spoiler:''And it is said that the Princess returned to her father's kingdom. That she reigned there with justice and a kind heart for many centuries. That she was loved by her people. And that she left behind small traces of her time on Earth, visible only to those who know where to look.'']]
** It also counts as TearJerker.
* Mercedes humming the same song from before as she holds [[spoiler:a dying Ofelia]] in her arms.
* At the end, when the Faun congratulates Ofelia for passing the final test. The sheer warmth in his voice shows he really wasn't half the jerk he made himself out to be before. He really did have Ofelia's best interest at heart the whole time, no matter what he had said up to that point.
** Even earlier, despite being more concerned with Ofelia completing her tasks (Ofelia was a little behind because of her worrying over her mother's hemorrhaging from earlier,) he still arrives with the mandrake root to help her out.
** Later on, when the Faun forgives Ofelia for disobeying, and gives her a second chance. The embrace is even more heartwarming considering [[spoiler:Carmen's death.]]
** The Faun's warning to not eat anything in the Pale Man's realm: He did everything he could to ensure that she would not be in danger, provided she followed his instructions. Of course, kids being kids, it might have been a good idea if he'd mentioned ''why'' she shouldn't eat anything there...
* A Meta example; del Toro keeps a meticulous file of notes and drawings for every project he works on. One day, he lost the file for the film (which he had been working on for ''years'') by accident in the back of a taxi cab. He was convinced it was the end of the project...until the cab driver (who had found the file and realized its importance) managed to track him down (which was a difficult task) and returned it to him. del Toro considered it a blessing and became more determined to finish the project.
** Antoher meta one is pretty sweet (and funny) [[https://68.media.tumblr.com/9803109c592de22160b02a8b5f2ab6e5/tumblr_niqolferFW1tsrfquo1_1280.jpg this behind the scenes photo]] with make-up artist Montse Ribé and Doug Jones as the pale man just chilling. MeanCharacterNiceActor indeed.