* [[http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=124478 Timbermare]] was created as a tribute to pro player Jamie Wakefield's wife Marilyn (nicknamed "Lovely Mare"), who died of ovarian cancer. Keep in mind that Magic sets are designed about a year in advance, and ''Planar Chaos'' came out about a year after her death, meaning that the card was designed almost immediately after the tragedy. [[http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/13483_Official_Planar_Chaos_Preview_Timbermare.html The full story.]]
* Being the creator of a multi-billion dollar game allows Richard Garfield to create some [[http://www.magiclibrarities.net/352-rarities-garfield-event-cards-english-cards-images.html nifty cards.]] But there's more! The art of the first card was left undocumented by Garfield's request, which was for the longest time honored by ''the entire Internet'' (but can now be seen [[http://magiccards.info/scans/en/uqc/3.jpg here]]). The second card speaks for itself, and if you don't get the art for the third, [[spoiler:consider why the artist put ''four'' plates on the table.]]
* [[http://magiccards.info/query?q=!Carnival+of+Souls This.]] Makes you feel sorry for that guy.
* Terese Nielsen [[http://teresenielsen.typepad.com/the_world_of_terese_niels/2012/04/avacyn-restored-descendants-path-a-journey-of-personal-healing.html talks about the inspiration for the art of Descendant's Path]], and how her family figured in it.
* In [[http://www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/285 Emenberry Red]], [[DarkIsNotEvil Erebos]] helping Pavios in the only way he can. [[spoiler:Pity it's tragic...]]
* When Elspeth has been cast out as a scapegoat for [[spoiler: Xenagos' ascension]] and turned against by seemingly all of Theros, including Heliod, Ajani comes looking for her and becomes her companion on the quest to slay [[spoiler: Xenagos]], along with the leonin of Theros. Cemented by [[http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/solidarity-heroes/ Solidarity of Heroes]].
** [[spoiler: Even amidst the DownerEnding of ''Godsend'', there's heartwarming to be found. ''Elspeth's breath slowed as he took her beyond the boundary of Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx and laid her upon the bare earth. He wouldn't let her die at the feet of the gods.'' Even in Elspeth's last moments, Ajani is still there for her.]]
** Likewise, [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGm-o3OXcA the trailer for Journey Into Nyx]] seems to cast Erebos in an almost-fatherly light, reciting a litany of comfort and respect for Elspeth, as if to tell her [[SoProudOfYou how proud he is of her]].
* [[http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=380483 Reviving Melody]], which depicts about a woman rescuing her husband from the Underworld, telling him "Listen to my song, and you need never forge a golden mask to return to me."[[note]]In the plane of Theros, those trapped in the Underworld can escape by forging a golden mask, at the cost of the memories of their former lives.[[/note]]
* The flavor text on [[http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=213795 Ogre Resister]]:
--> He didn't have a word for "home," but [[YouShallNotPass he knew it was something to be defended.]]
* Nahiri's defiance of Sorin's cynical take on their resistance against the Eldrazi
--> Any hope is better than none. Always.
* Ojutai's SoProudOfYou moment as his student Narset surpasses him. [[spoiler: Even if it could be argued he has ulterior motives of wanting to keep the truth of his subjugation of the former Jeskai and the existence of Ugin hidden when he implicitly exhorts Narset to planeswalk.]]
* [[http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/truth-names-2015-01-28 The Mardu's acceptance of Alesha]] is a Tear Jerker for transgender players.
* The Dromoka of Tarkir, in the new timeline, are basically a big, giant familial meritocracy in which dragons have a bunch of 'children' adopted, and everyone is welcome. Unlike most of the other Dragonlords, Dromoka has nothing but respect and protection for her subjects, and really, just look at the art for [[http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Dromoka%27s+Gift Dromoka's Gift]]. She's just [[SoProudOfYou so proud]] of the brave warrior to have earned one of her scales, like a parent at a child's graduation.
** Another thing to consider in the Dromoka is that unlike any other clan, the dragons and non-dragons freely speak to each other, with mutual respect. Not even the Ojutai can claim that.
** Still, the meritocracy angle, [[http://el-jarado.tumblr.com/post/114023481933/once-again-white-green-is-the-nicest-color as pointed out here]], [[FridgeHorror is a bit depressing]], considering that Dromoka is a [[TheSocialDarwinist social darwinist]], if a bit nicer than most.
* Sarkhan, [[http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/tarkir-dragons-2015-02-25 upon arriving at the new dragon-filled Tarkir]], runs and flies around as happy as can be, kid-in-a-candystore style, only briefly stopping to give hugs to a goblin he once knew in the old timeline.
* [[http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=zendikar%20resurgent Zendikar Resurgent]], from Oath of the Gatewatch. Finally, after all the horror of the Zendikar storyline, all the torment and suffering brought on by the [[EldritchAbomination Eldrazi]], Zendikar is finally safe. Ulamog and Kozilek are gone. Zendikar can heal. The nightmare is finally over, and we have the Gatewatch on standby to take down Emrakul and anyone or anything else who dares threaten the safety of the Multiverse.
* In a particularly odd version of this trope, [[spoiler: some of Emrakul/Emeria's dialog in ''[[http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/promised-end-2016-07-27 The Promised End]]'' implies that she gives Tamiyo the power to seal herself into the moon because some part of her is aware that the inhabitants of Innistrad don't want to be remade in her image.]]
-->[[spoiler: '''Emeria:''' "This is all wrong. I am incomplete, unfulfilled, inchoate. There should be blossoms, not barren resentment. The soil was not receptive. It is not my time. Not yet." ]]
* At the end of [[http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/homesick-2016-08-29 Homesick]], the Gatewatch has been informed by Dovin Baan of Chandra's less-than-legitimate past, and the incident that cost her her family. Dovin tries to justify himself by explaining how dangerous pyromancers are on Kaladesh. [[TrueCompanions Jace, Gideon and Nissa don't give a damn,]] and instead collectively decide to go after her, just to make sure she's safe. Because she may be impulsive and her powers may be destructive enough to take down ''[[EldritchAbomination Eldrazi]]'', but she is one of them and, as Gideon says, her heart is the size of the moon.
** Earlier before, in a surprisingly selfless moment, Liliana providing emotional support to Chandra after she storms off, even leaving her have a necromancer joke and planeswalking with her to Kaladesh.
* [[http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=417682&type=card Cathartic Reunion]], from Kaladesh. Chandra and her mother Pia are finally reunited after 12 long years of believing each other to be dead.
* In ''[[http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/release-2016-10-05 Release]]'', Ajani finds [[spoiler: Chandra, Nissa and Oviya Pashiri being gassed to death]] and leaps at a guard, swinging his axe at the man's throat in UnstoppableRage. But then he sees the guard's life with his empathetic abilities and, ''while in the middle of the attack and desperate to save his friends'', he alters the swing's angle so that it lands a non-lethal blow on the man's chestplate instead. Because the guard isn't a Planeswalker or a villain, he's just a man with a family.
** From the same story, while Ajani is visiting Tamiyo on Kamigawa, he tells Elspeth's story to the children Tamiyo looks after, confessing that he feels that he should have died instead of Elspeth:
--> ''Nashi put his arms around the giant, but couldn't reach even halfway. "It's all right to let it out," he said. "We all got you."\\
Ajani's shoulders bent and shuddered. He covered his eyes with one hand.\\
The rain began to fall.\\
The children sat with him, around him, a forest of hands on his shoulders and arms and back and knees. Saying nothing. Just breathing.\\
It rained for a very long time.''