* [[http://magiccards.info/pc/en/140.html Timbermare]] was created as a tribute to pro player Jamie Wakefield's wife Marilyn (nicknamed "Lovely Mare"), who died of ovarian cancer. Keep in mind that Magic sets are designed about a year in advance, and ''Planar Chaos'' came out about a year after her death, meaning that the card was designed almost immediately after the tragedy. [[http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13483.html The full story.]]
* Being the creator of a multi-billion dollar game allows Richard Garfield to create some [[http://www.magiclibrarities.net/352-rarities-garfield-event-cards-english-cards-images.html nifty cards.]] But there's more! The art of the first card was left undocumented by Garfield's request, which was for the longest time honored by ''the entire Internet'' (but can now be seen [[http://magiccards.info/scans/en/uqc/3.jpg here]]). The second card speaks for itself, and if you don't get the art for the third, [[spoiler:consider why the artist put ''four'' plates on the table.]]
* [[http://magiccards.info/query?q=!Carnival+of+Souls This.]] Makes you feel sorry for that guy.
* Terese Nielsen [[http://teresenielsen.typepad.com/the_world_of_terese_niels/2012/04/avacyn-restored-descendants-path-a-journey-of-personal-healing.html talks about the inspiration for the art of Descendant's Path]], and how her family figured in it.
* In [[http://www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/285 Emenberry Red]], [[DarkIsNotEvil Erebos]] helping Pavios in the only way he can. [[spoiler:Pity it's tragic...]]
* When Elspeth has been cast out as a scapegoat for [[spoiler: Xenagos' ascension]] and turned against by seemingly all of Theros, including Heliod, Ajani comes looking for her and becomes her companion on the quest to slay [[spoiler: Xenagos]], along with the leonin of Theros. Cemented by [[http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/solidarity-heroes/ Solidarity of Heroes]].
** [[spoiler: Even amidst the DownerEnding of ''Godsend'', there's heartwarming to be found. ''Elspeth's breath slowed as he took her beyond the boundary of Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx and laid her upon the bare earth. He wouldn't let her die at the feet of the gods.'' Even in Elspeth's last moments, Ajani is still there for her.]]
** Likewise, [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGm-o3OXcA the trailer for Journey Into Nyx]] seems to cast Erebos in an almost-fatherly light, reciting a litany of comfort and respect for Elspeth, as if to tell her [[SoProudOfYou how proud he is of her]].
* [[http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=380483 Reviving Melody]], which depicts about a woman rescuing her husband from the Underworld, telling him "Listen to my song, and you need never forge a golden mask to return to me."[[note]]In the plane of Theros, those trapped in the Underworld can escape by forging a golden mask, at the cost of the memories of their former lives.[[/note]]
* The flavor text on [[http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=213795 Ogre Resister]]:
--> He didn't have a word for "home," but [[YouShallNotPass he knew it was something to be defended.]]