* One of the random events is a bit [[ZigZaggingTrope funny]] about this. But ultimately in short, you are attacked by the Zoltan, you fight them off, and then the ship hails a cease fire, as it turns out, its captain was testing you, to see if a diverse crew could work together and protect your ship, and since you just did, he joins you.
* The Grand Basilisk of Numa V event. If you [[ScrewTheMoneyIHaveRules choose not to sell out the bride you've been escorting in exchange for weaponry]], she's so thankful for being freed from her ArrangedMarriage that she immediately joins your crew and helps you fight her kidnappers slash would-be groom's escorts.
* Letting [=KazaaakplethKilik=] participate in and destroying the Rebel Flagship could be this in a way. You saved his life and redeemed him from thievery to become a legendary hero of the Federation.
* One event involves coming across an engi ship under attack by rebels. After you save it you note that is poorly equipped for outrunning the rebels the sector. If you donate the maximum amount of scrap along with other military supplies to the Engi the sheer generosity involved in saving them twice [[NotSoStoic causes them to be so overwhelmed they generate error messages, a clear equivalent of tears of joy.]] "Generosity magnitude unpredicted. Well-being syntax error [value too high]. Accept this token." Said token is the Engi medi-bot dispersal augment.
* The "No [[RedShirt Redshirts]] Here" achievement. It requires you to reach the final sector without any crew member dying. Overlaps with CMOA.
* In one event, you meet a Mantis that thinks he's a human. If you have can calm him down, you bring him back to his loving family which is so grateful that they improve one your oxygen system or you can let the little guy join you to fulfill his dream of fighting for the Federation a la Luke Skywalker.