* Unlike Lucious, Cookie is accepting of Jamal's homosexuality. And was quite proud of him for coming out.
** Furthermore, '''none''' of the guests at the party so much as raises an eyebrow at Jamal's edit of the song (granted, they may have been too caught up in the music to notice, but still...). Only Lucious seems upset at his son's declaration.
* The entirety of Jamal and Hakeem's close-knit, brotherly relationship.
* Despite his homophobia, Lucious at least tries to make the effort to comfort his son Jamal after the [[spoiler:messy break-up he had with Michael]], telling him that for musicians such as them, it will be hard finding someone who can keep up with their goals and ambitions.
* Anyone's interactions with [[MoralityPet Lola,]] Jamal's daughter with his ex-wife. They all drop their usual unpleasant demeanor and act very sweet with to her.
** Heck, even when [[spoiler:it was discovered that Jamal wasn't Lola' father, but her ''older-half brother'', he doesn't act bitter or insensitive once. Not even to his ex.]]
* Even though Cookie initially reacted badly to knowing Andre has bipolar disorder, she quickly gets over it, comforts her son and tries to learn more about the said disorder.
* Despite being quite sneaky and manipulative, Rhonda ultimately loves Andre and makes sure he takes his medications.
* The reason behind Olivia leaving Lola. [[spoiler:She was trying to protect her from her abusive ex, Reggie. And she knew that Jamal was a good man and would take care of her.]]
* Rhonda revealing [[spoiler:she's pregnant to Andre. The two are later seen at an ultrasound.]]
* Cookie and Malcolm's trip together.
* Cookie taking her sister, Carol, to Empire Records.