* One of the Harlequin's quotes is quite sweet when the tone is taken into account:
--> '''Harlequin:''' Let your enemies fear, for a Harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side.
* Similarly, the Ethereal's quotes are spoken in a very reassuring tone. It's easy to see why his mere presence buffs your entire army.
--> '''Ethereal''': Banish your fear.
--> '''Ethereal''': Take heart. The Ethereal Caste, is with you.
* When [[spoiler: Gabriel Angelos]] goes down during the final mission of ''Retribution's'' Space Marine campaign, Captain Diomedes tearfully praises him as the 'best of us' and swears that he will avenge him. [[spoiler: Keep in mind, in the beginning of the game he derisively called him a traitor.]]
-->''"[[spoiler: Gabriel...]] you were always the best of us. And I '''will''' see you avenged."''
** Adding to this, at the end of the Space Marine campaign, when [[spoiler: Gabriel is made Chapter Master]], Diomedes says that the new rank is fitting and that none shall find him wanting. [[spoiler: Again, this is a man he regarded as a traitor at the start of the game.]]
* When playing as the Imperial Guard, Inquisitor Adrastia gets notably distressed at the same moment, and vows to inflict a FateWorseThanDeath on Kyras for it. It's established that she's an old friend of [[spoiler: Angelos]], but here's the main time you actually see it.
** There's a bit of it in the Space Marine ending as well; her first line after being told that the BigBad has been defeated is to anxiously ask if [[spoiler: Angelos]] has survived.
* The Eldar ending of ''Retribution'' and the reason for Ronahn's quest. Autarch Kayleth says "we should all be so fortunate to have such loyal kin". Veldoran replies "[[TrueCompanions I believe we already do]]".
* Tarkus defending the Imperial Guard at Angel Forge after Avitus repeatedly insults them.
* Captain Thule staying behind to [[DueToTheDead defend the body of Endymion]], his former second-in-command, from an Eldar war host in the second mission of ''Chaos Rising''.
* In the Space Marine campaign of ''Retribution'', Diomedes suffers a HeroicBSOD after [[spoiler:Azariah Kyras reveals himself as a heretic and tricks them into causing the Exterminatus of Typhon]]. The Ancient, who up until this point has not said a word, speaks up and ''removes his helmet'', revealing himself as [[spoiler:Sergeant Tarkus]]. He vows to slay [[spoiler:Kyras]] no matter what and reaffirms to Diomedes that their duty remains, and no-one but the Emperor can relieve them of that. His speech snaps Diomedes out of it. Doubles as a CrowningMomentOfAwesome.
* One of the Eldar victory quotes is ''"The Craftworld shall rejoice at our victory."'' Unlike most of the self-centered victory quotes (''This victory will long be remembered in the Halls of Glory.'', ''We. Have. Triumphed.''), this one reminds you that your forces are fighting for more than themselves, they're fighting for their Craftworld and their fellow Eldar who live in it. Quite heartwarming to remember that even though they're capricious bastards, the Eldar still fight bravely to help their race.
* Cyrus gives some advice to Thaddeus that seems rather dark, until you remember [[CrapsackWorld what kind of universe this is]], and he's right: Space Marines don't die in bed. He's telling Thaddeus how to cope with the whole crapsack universe when it finally catches up to him.
--> '''Cyrus''': I will remember this day, when the end comes.
--> '''Thaddeus''': The end? You are a dark one, Cyrus.
--> '''Cyrus''': Your death is not merely a possibility, Thaddeus, it is a certainty. In this war or another, you will die. On that day, happiness will seem very far away. So save some of that victorious cheer. Store it away.