* Fone Bone and Thorn [[spoiler: hugging each other while in prison and again at the end of the series.]]
* Fone Bone [[spoiler: accidentally blurting out his feelings to Thorn when he's rescuing her from the Hooded One.]]
* [[LoveLetterLunacy "Dear Thorn, I know that I am short, bald and have a big nose, but I like you a lot! Signed, a secret admirer xxxooo."]]
* Bartleby's first appearance. Heck, most of the scenes involving Bartleby, especially when he's with Smiley.
** Of particular note is Smiley's expression when [[spoiler: he, Phoney, and Gran'ma Ben are backed up against a wall by a herd of Rat Creatures, with no hope of escape]], and [[spoiler: one of them sits up on his hind legs (exposing his uncropped ears) and tilts his head in recognition]].
** From ''Treasure Hunters'':
--> '''Smiley:''' You know Bartleby, I never had a pal like you before.
--> '''Bartleby:''' Me either!
* Bone making a quiche and giving it to the rat creatures in celebration of the Winter Solstice. "Peace on Earth, fellas!"
* Anything Phoney did early on that showed that he really did care about Fone Bone and Smiley.
-->'''Phoney''': You can blame me all you want, pal, but you watch your mouth when your talking about my cousins!
** He also shows this later near the end, when Gran'ma Ben offers him a chance [[spoiler: to go home via a shortcut tunnel.]] Phoney's response?
-->'''Phoney''': I'm sorry, I... I can't leave without my cousins.
** Then, when Phoney is arguing with Fone toward the end, when Fone wants to stay with Thorn but Phoney wants him to return to Boneville...
-->'''Smiley''': Phoncible P. Bone, you are going to support your cousin no matter what decision he makes because you love him.
-->'''Phoney''': ... (Sighs in resignation and acceptance.)
* In spite of what [[spoiler: Briar]] turned out to really be, there was something so sweet about gruff, grumpy Lucius talking about the girl he very nearly married.
-->'''Smiley:''' You ever been married?
-->'''Lucius:''' I almost got married once.
-->'''Lucius:''' It was a long time ago... She was a beautiful woman... Th' most beautiful woman in th' whole valley... ''(smiles)'' We were in love, and we courted, a lot of folks thought we were gonna get hitched...
-->'''Smiley:''' So what happened? Why didn't you get married?
-->'''Lucius:''' ''(No longer smiling)'' She didn't want to.