* Where the hell are Elmo's parents? Are the Bumsteads the only source of adult guidance for the kid, and that's why he's constantly popping by? Do they even know or care where he is when school's out?
** You can say that about every single media involving kids. Why do the adults not seem to care that the kids are poking about in a huge city or having charming discussions with random strangers?
** I think it's just ValuesDissonance. When the strip started, a child was raised by a neighborhood and, it wasn't odd for someone else to watch your kid randomly for an hour. Back then, your kid left after breakfast, visited for lunch, and came back at dinner.
*** Maybe Elmo lives on the side of the Bumstead home opposite from Herb and Tootsie; his parents familiar enough with Dagwood and Blondie to be comfortable with him going over there alone. Dagwood himself never seems to object to this.
* How in the world does Mr. Dithers get away with the way he treats his employees? In the real world, a boss who did things like he did (specifically things like kicking Dagwood) would be sued into oblivion.
** It's mostly for comic relief.
*** You'll notice Mr. Dithers never seems to tear into anyone else nearly as much.
** My guess is that, back when Dagwood first went to work for Mr. Dithers, treating one's employees that way was [[ValuesDissonance socially and legally acceptable]] (well, apart from the kicking bit, which would've constituted assault even then), so it's simply grandfathered in as a recurring motif. Also, just because employers can no longer dismiss you without warning, or demote you from executive to stock boy or whatever, without risking a lawsuit, doesn't mean that a BadBoss can't find all sorts of other non-actionable ways to abuse you.
*** They can't do that? Then I think it's time to have a talk with my boss who has a reputation for dismissing others with no reason.
** Interestingly, I had a relative who had a boss that had an uncanny resemblence to Mr. Dithers's personality, his name even ''rhymed'' with "Dithers"
* Related to the above, how in the world did Dagwood, who habitually sleeps on the job, goofs off, and is late for work and meetings, not only avoided getting fired (for good, at least), but managed to get promoted to office ''manager''?
** You haven't hung around most managers in real lie, have you?
** FridgeLogic - maybe Dithers and Dagwood have an arrangement whereby Dithers turns a blind eye to Dagwood's incompetence in exchange for being able to take his rage out on him in the form of physical abuse. Dithers is just that much of an asshole.
*** That explains a lot. I can imagine the lawyers during the negotiation of the agreement; so you drop the multiple assaults sue against my client and I drop the unjustified firing against yours… hmm wait a second…
* Why do Dagwood and his son look like identical twins?
** Cloning, duh. [[WildMassGuessing Why do you think that Dagwood has looked the same for 70 years?]] Whenever "Dagwood" gets old "Alexander" replaces him.
** They're not identical. The differences are subtle but still there: Dagwood has 3 uncombable hair on both sides of the head and a round nose. Alexander has 2 such hair and a pointy nose.
*** Of course, when the strip was created in the 30's, that was a trendy hairstyle. Why he's still sporting a hairstyle that hasn't been popular since before most of the fans' parents were born is another question entirely, but there you go.
* When did Dagwood's and Blondie's children appeared? Did they grow up, or did they just appeared out of nowhere?
** Actually, Dagwood and Blondie started as dating teenagers, then got older, got married, had babies which grew with the years until they reached their late teens / early adulthood. The age evolution stopped at that point.
*** Which proves that ''Blonde'' was better twenty years or so ago.
*** Alexander did start out as the renowned Baby Dumpling.
* Why does Blondie have such huge breasts when she was conseptualized as a flapper?
** SuppressedMammaries. Since she's no longer really a flapper, she doesn't feel like taking the effort to hide 'em.
* If Dagwood's boss can't stand his wife, then why did he marry her? In the first animated movie, he doesn't want her to kiss him. I find that strange.
** The Ditherses are obviously older than Dagwood and Blondie, so presumably they have been married longer, and presumably Mr. Dithers loved Cora at least in the past.