* When David and Jennifer first arrive on Falken's island they are dive bombed by a [[spoiler: Pterodactyl]]. It's not as weird as it sounds.
* Also, a bit of dark humor, to be sure. As JOSHUA/WOPR is [[spoiler:preparing to launch the nukes, and it has become readily apparent that preventing it would be difficult, to say the least]], General Beringer, who was opposed to the WOPR system in the first place, decides it's the appropriate time to give his evaluation of its efficacy.
-->'''General Beringer:''' ''(smirking triumphantly)'' Mr. [=McKittrick=], after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system ''sucks.''\\
'''[=McKittrick=]:''' I don't have to take that, you pig-eyed sack of shit.\\
'''General Beringer:''' Oh, I was hoping for something a little better than that from you, sir. A man of your education.
* Also features the general telling the computer tech to not run in the war room. "Someone might get hurt." That might also be a ShoutOut to ''Film/DrStrangelove''[='=]s "You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" line.
* When Falken and [=McKittrick=] meet.
--> '''Falken''': John, good to see you! I see the wife still picks your ties.
* How David scams to get sent to the principal's office: insulting the biology teacher...
-->'''Teacher''': All right, Lightman. Maybe you could tell us who first suggested the idea of reproduction without sex.\\
'''David''': Um... your wife?
** Some of the film crew can be heard laughing as well; they weren't aware of the joke prior to filming; director John Badham decided to leave the laughter in.
* EddieDeezen and MauryChaykin codifying computer geekdom for Hollywood.
* General Beringer shows why trying to hold two conversations at once, especially when one is with the President of the United States, is not a wise idea:
-->'''Beringer:''' ''(on the phone)'' Mr. President, we have forty-eight nuclear subs closing in on the United States, and a hundred thousand troops massing in East Germany. We're monitoring their bombers that are on alert... ''(airman hands Beringer a report)'' Well, that's a load of shit! ''(into phone)'' Oh, no, no, sir. Not you.
* In the beginning sequence, there is a sign next to the door to the missile launch room that reads, "Anyone urinating in this area will be discharged".
* "Put "X" in the the center square." "[[LittleNo No]]".
* Falken's frantic hand gestures to David and Jennifer ("COME ON!!") from inside his helicopter.
* Two blink-and-you'll-miss-them allusions to drug use in the US military:
** In the opening sequence, the missile bunker crew arrive at work discussing an acquaintance who cultivates potent marijuana by chanting mantras over the seeds.
-->'''Lawson:''' Primo stuff, resin city.
** The dictaphone that David finds while sealed in the NORAD infirmary:
-->'''Dictaphone:''' ...patients' eyes are dilated consistent with use of marijuana, and possibly PCP...