* In the novel, Dave Bowman's attempts to track down his wife lead to a computer error that sends a check for ''$1.00'' to everyone in Florida whose last name starts with the letter 'F'.
* Heywood and Curnow, talking about the things they miss back on earth.
* Chandra telling Heywood and Curnow about [[spoiler:deactivating their "kill switch" for HAL, should he go rogue again.]] The looks on theirs faces ''screamed'' "...you bastard".
** The last second grin Heywood shoots Chandra afterward borders on a HeartwarmingMoment.
* In the novel, the fact that both crews were fluent in both Russian and English led to some amusing situations, such as the three Americans realizing that they had been idly chatting in Russian for nearly 30 minutes at one point or conversations among them all changing language in mid conversation. One result was the 'Stamp out Russlish' campaign, which was meant as a morale booster through humor than anything else.
* "Look! A flying saucer! Who's got a camera?!"