* The PrideAndPrejudice shout outs.
** The best part being that in the epilogue, Sam is surprised to find that Jane's novel [[spoiler: Pride and Extreme Prejudice]] is now dedicated to him.
* Young Sam's continuing obsession with poo.
-->"I've got a laboratory in the lavatory."
* Young Sam learns to milk a goat.
--> "Dad! I know how to milk a goat, Dad! You have to pull its tits, Dad, they're all wiggly!"
* The titles of the children's books.
* The bathroom in Ramkin Hall, where the decorator had gone rather overboard with Faun motifs. As Sybil said, use of the bathroom when she was a child rather ensured that she wouldn't be shocked in later life.
* The explanation of the rules of crocket, which takes so long that (metaphorically presumably, but with Pratchett you never know), the universe ages and ends, a new universe is born, life evolves, a new Sam Vimes exists, and he's there just in time to hear the end.
* Early on, the explanation of why Vimes never argued with Sybil:
-->''...because even when he thought he had won, it would later turn out, due to some magic unavailable to husbands, that he had been misinformed.''
** As most husbands will tell you, this is TruthInTelevision.
* Vimes uneasily reflecting that he had always thought of authors as people who just lounged around in their dressing gowns all day, drinking champagne, and a footnote asserts that this is, of course, completely true.
** And in at least one language, that footnote has a translator's footnote stating that this must be true, since Mr. Pratchett knows what he's talking about.