* Pretty much every HistoricalInJoke that pops up throughout the movie.
* Chasing after Viola to find out about this [[WholesomeCrossdresser Thomas Kent]] fellow, Shakespeare decides to climb up the rose vines to Viola's balcony. Just when audiences think we're about to see a re-staging of the infamous balcony scene from the play... [[spoiler:it's the ''nurse'' who catches Shakespeare climbing up, and both are freaked out by the surprise]].
* During the opening audition for ''Romeo And Ethel the Pirate's Daughter'', every would-be performer auditions by using the same lines from [[TheRival Marlowe's]] ''Faustus'', which annoys Shakespeare to no end.
* Ned's reaction to learning about Mercutio's death.
* Queen Elizabeth stopping at a puddle and looking expectantly at her courtiers, who quickly take of their capes, only for her to walk through the water anyway muttering "Too late, too late."
* The London cabbies, in rowing boats.
-->I had that Christopher Marlowe in my boat once.