* Pretty much every HistoricalInJoke that pops up throughout the movie.
* Shakespeare's ''epic'' [[https://31.media.tumblr.com/9b9e9bdb9cdea80bb444633379fa800b/tumblr_inline_mzkr57BeLG1s1h2q7.gif shrug]] when asked where his pages are.
* Chasing after Viola to find out about this [[WholesomeCrossdresser Thomas Kent]] fellow, Shakespeare decides to climb up the rose vines to Viola's balcony. Just when audiences think we're about to see a re-staging of the infamous balcony scene from the play... [[spoiler:it's the ''nurse'' who catches Shakespeare climbing up, and both are freaked out by the surprise]].
* During the opening audition for ''Romeo And Ethel the Pirate's Daughter'', every would-be performer auditions by using the same lines from [[TheRival Marlowe's]] ''Faustus'', which annoys Shakespeare to no end.
* Ned's reaction to learning about Mercutio's death.
** How Shakespeare gets Ned to take the part in the first place.
* Queen Elizabeth stopping at a puddle and looking expectantly at her courtiers, who quickly take of their capes, only for her to walk through the water anyway muttering "Too late, too late."
* The London cabbies, in rowing boats.
-->I had that Christopher Marlowe in my boat once.
* The boatman rolling his eyes at Shakespeare's PurpleProse.
-->A writer, is he?
-->ROW YOUR BOAT.
* Henslowe attempting to calm a panicking Shakespeare when it looks like everything is going wrong with the premiere of ''RomeoAndJuliet'':
-->'''Henslowe:''' The show must... you knonw... ''(trails off aimlessly)''
-->'''Shakespeare:''' [[TheShowMustGoOn Go on!]]
* Pretty much everything involving the bloodthirsty young scamp, John Webster (who would grow up to become a writer of particularly gruseome tragedies), ESPECIALLY there scene where he tips off Mr Tilney about Viola performing in drag:
-->'''Viola:''' Nobody knew.
-->'''Webster:''' ''(pointing at Shakespeare)'' He did! I saw him kissing her bubbies!