For a very serious work about WorldWarIII, ''Red Storm Rising'' has a few [[GallowsHumor darkly humorous]] moments.
* The surreal, almost Creator/MontyPython-esque moment when the downed American flier aboard his life raft is "taken prisoner" by a downed Russian flier - who quickly rescinds his claim when he learns that the American is the one with the ''[[EverythingsEvenWorseWithSharks akula]]'' repellent.
--> '''Chapayev:''' ''(while awaiting rescue with Commander Davis)'' Aren't we two sorry sons of bitches.
** Even better is that all of that is going on while both are nursing injuries from their earlier ejections.
* The wonderful description of Alekseyev commandeering the troop train in Moscow. He arrives abruptly, screams at the divisional commander, who goes off to scream at ''his'' regimental commanders, who go off to scream at ''their'' battalion commanders, and all the way down the line for ten minutes until the screaming was done at the squad level. Only then does the division finally get moving. Armies, huh...
* The "attitude check" for the control tower crew at Keflavik Air Force Base, Iceland:
--> '''First Lieutenant Michael Edwards:''' Let's have an attitude check!\\
'''Tower crew:''' I ''hate'' this fucking place!\\
'''Edawrds:''' Let's have a positive attitude check!\\
'''Tower crew:''' I ''positively'' hate this fucking place!\\
'''Edwards:''' Let's have a negative attitude check!\\
'''Tower crew:''' I ''don't like'' this fucking place!\\
'''Edwards:''' Let's have a short attitude check!\\
'''Tower crew:''' Fuckit!
* Going into the 'backwoods' of Iceland, the Marines following Edwards decide to push this 'wimpy weather man' to the limits of his endurance, then they found out what he did as a hobby.
-->'''Sgt Smith:''' You mean I've been trying to walk a damned runner into the ground?\\
'''Edwards:''' You ''have'' walked a marathoner into the friggn' ground.
* General Alekseyev's hilarious line after observing a training exercise.
-->'''Alekseyev:''' These men aren't fit to guard a Turkish whorehouse, much less do anything worthwhile inside of it!