* The UndyingLoyalty of the Mantis Khan is ''so'' UpToEleven it's hilarious. In one scene, for example, after Jade tasks Sanshobo with reorganizing the Shadowkhan library, he starts going on with he's honored to be considered worthy of the task, etc, and is still going strong even ''after'' Jade and Hiruzen leave.
** It's telling that Sanshobo's shock over [[spoiler: Hishu's birth]] is [[OOCIsSeriousBusiness serious enough]] to make him start acting and talking like a normal person. Ikazuki actually finds this more disconcerting than the event in question.
* Himitsu's shock when Nonki effortlessly takes control of his flying roc feather, which is supposed to be impossible.
* Ikazuki has several human samurai who sold out to the Shadowkhan [[RewardedAsATraitorDeserves rewarded as they deserve]] -- including having written explanations of their treachery carved into their flesh -- much to the aggravation of Jirobo, who wants to build up a network of collaborators.
-->'''Jirobo''': Do you not see the flaw in this course?
-->'''Ikazuki''': [[ComicallyMissingThePoint Well of course I realize most humans can't read, but it's more symbolic in nature.]]
* Hiruzen's ThisIsGonnaSuck reaction to the rest of the Circle descending into an argument about what qualifies decent collaborators.
** For some BlackComedy, there's the fact that Tsume's criteria for collaborators is whether or not they can be [[ImAHumanitarian added to the menu]].
* While making security preparations for the banquet, Jade is so paranoid about the presence of Shendu's envoy that she considers having a Shadowkhan dress up in drag as a body double and sit in for her. Try not to laugh at that mental image.
* Jade's new kitsune slave handmaiden, Koeri, has a dignified air about her at all times... except when she sings, [[HollywoodToneDeaf which she's terrible at but oblivious to]]. Jade ultimately directly orders her to never do it again, orders that the other Shadowkhan are all too happy to enforce.
* Koeri tries to get Jade into more feminine things, like poetry. She turns out to have a talent for it, but to Koeri's horror, all the subject matter is about fighting and death.
** Later, after a rough start, Jade has managed to get the hang of brushing Koeri's hair/fur, but when she shifts into fox form and tries to leave for the night, she accidentally walks into the wall.