* Paul's first written lines of his new novel: [[ThisIsGonnaSuck fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck]]
* In the book, Paul's struggles with starting ''Misery's Return'':
-->It wasn't like him to labor so painfully, nor to half-fill a wastebasket with random jottings or half-pages which ended with lines like “Misery turned to him, eyes shining, lips murmuring the magic words "Oh you numb shithead THIS ISN'T WORKING AT ALL!!!"
* Annie's...creative swear words.
-->'''Annie''': He didn't get out of the '''cockadoodie''' car!
* Whenever Paul goes into an ImagineSpot parallel to his current situation. The horse-race announcements during his time alone in a locked room helped soften the horrifying situation.
* From the book:
-->Three nights ago, when he was sure she was upstairs, he had sneaked one of the sample boxes out and had read everything on the label, although he supposed he had read everything he needed when he saw what Novril's principal ingredient was. Maybe you spelled relief R-O-L-A-I-D-S, but you spelled Novril C-O-D-E-I-N-E.
* The scene in the movie after [[spoiler:Annie breaks Paul's ankles.]] She waves at him and blows a kiss and he responds by flipping her the bird. She laughs and says that he's "Such a kidder!"
* In the book, Paul pondering what he'll do if he should manage to break the top glass on one of Annie's home's doors: ''"Do a kamikaze dive out on onto the front porch? What a great idea. Maybe he could break his back, and that would take his mind off his legs for awhile."''
* A 1988 paperback version had [[http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sJq42pXCZlI/TJlv5MaAxPI/AAAAAAAACgw/SMtMnoV81ok/s1600/Misery3A.jpg this faux-cover]] of ''Misery's Return'' inside. The smirking, hunky hero looks familiar...
* There is just something so darkly hilarious about this -- In the novel, [[spoiler:after Annie cuts off his foot, Paul sees a scar on the instep and he remembers how he got it. As a child he had stopped on a piece of broken bottle. He had cried and his father told him it was just a little cut and to stop acting like someone cut his goddamn foot off.]]
* When trying to get out of the room, Paul uses a hairpin to unlock the door, despite never ever picking a lock before and just writing about it and loudly lampshading this. But it's his surprise when he actually picks the lock that makes the scene funny.
* A very darkly funny example, but toward the end of the book, after Annie has [[spoiler:cut off one of Paul's feet and his left thumb]], Paul's thoughts idly run across Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", thinking of Annie and wondering if she's having fun. Then here hears Annie coming toward his room and thinks "something wicked this way comes", and to his horror, she's brought him a cake, with a "special candle" that turns out to be his [[spoiler:thumb]]. He promises he'll be good so he won't have to eat the "special candle", as she threatens, and thinks "girls just want to have some fun, but something wicked this way comes, please don't make me eat my [[spoiler:thumb]]".