%% ZeroContextExample entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Do not uncomment them without expanding them to give a sense of why these comics are funny. WeblinksAreNotExamples; a weblink from a quote with no explanation of either is not context.
* Whenever the [[YouAreFat talking scale]] speaks to Garfield.
* Anything involving the TV.
* Several jokes involving coffee, such as when it is too weak or too strong.
* Sometimes, Garfield will burp '''very loudly'''.
* Whenever Jon answers the phone only to find out that Garfield has been causing trouble.
* Almost any gag involving the [[PieInTheFace Spluts]]. One particularly impressive one is coupled with MediumAwareness.
* Many of Jon's pick-up lines, with the crowner being, "Excuse me, I have healthy gums."
* Whenever Jon has trouble setting up the Christmas lights.
* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1994/07/10 One comic]] has the refrigerator light burn out, and Garfield, thinking it was never bright enough anyway, replaces it with a HUGE Bulb. Soon, Jon is headed for the fridge looking for a midnight snack. The final panel has light shooting out of every window and the chimney and Jon [[FirstNameUltimatum yelling for Garfield.]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1993/12/04 All right! "Jaw-dropping!"]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1994/02/04 Garfield apparently robbed a bank thinking it was a bakery.]]
* Jon [[http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ga/2002/ga020427.gif asks Garfield if he's ready to eat,]] which for some reason causes Garfield to [[BerserkButton get really upset at Jon.]] The [[ChewingTheScenery over-the-top delivery]] of the last line is what makes the strip.
* Garfield watching a cheesy romantic movie that consists entirely of "[[SayMyName John! Marsha!]]" for 4 panels streight. he changes the channel and [[FacePalm Face Palms]] when he gets "George! Shirley!"
* Two different successful attempts at randomness, both involving vines: one coming out of nowhere ''inside the house'', and another being used to rescue Garfield from a ginormous bowl of oatmeal.
* Garfield trying out a whole bunch of exotic bird calls. While it initially appears nothing happened, which gives Garfield the line "Maybe I 'nicked' when I should have 'greeeebeled,'" there's a whole bunch of exotic birds standing right behind him.
* A scene with Garfield watching TV: "The court calls Gouda May [[OverlyLongName Freegenweegenswallodribbenfraxenlaxenismabittle]] to the stand. Be seated, Mrs. [[OverlyLongName Freegenweegenswallodribbenfraxenlaxenismabittle]]. Please state your name." Cue FacePalm in the third panel.
* When Garfield's [[FriendVersusLover jealousy of Liz reaches new heights...]]
-->'''Jon''': ''[on the phone]'' Liz, I think Garfield's jealous of you.
--> ''[Garfield enters wearing a bathrobe, house slippers, and hair curlers]''
-->'''Garfield''': You're talking to that '''''woman''''' again, aren't you?!
-->'''Jon''': ''[deadpan]'' Liz, I ''know'' Garfield's jealous of you.
* Jon explaining a double date to his brother:
-->'''Doc Boy''': What's a double date?
-->'''Jon''': That's when you and I go on a date together.
-->'''Doc Boy''': Gee, it seems like it would be more fun if some girls came along.
%%* That time when Garfield deals with his [[GoodAngelBadAngel Shoulder Donuts]].
%%* "What a beautiful day. I think I'll stay in bed all day."
%%* "When I'm off this diet, I'm going to eat lasagna, cake, ice cream, mashed potatoes.. [[FacePalm I just gained two pounds!]]"
%%* "[[ItMakesSenseInContext BEAN ME!]]" said Garfield on a massive caffeine bender.
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1998/01/04 Jon eats the pets food in fear of being smacked into.]]
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/1998/02/11 Jon here REALLY WANTS TO DATE!]]
%%* Jon running out of coffee.
%%* Any strip involving "The Sludge Monster", plus the episode of ''WesternAnimation/GarfieldAndFriends'' it was adapted into.
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/1979/02/28 "Never be condescending to a cat."]] Definitely one of Garfield's crabbier moments.
* "[[http://garfield.com/comic/1982-05-01 We'll be right back]] after this word from our sponsor!" [[spoiler:[[BigfootSasquatchAndYeti "Sasquatch"]].]] [[FacePalm "Welcome back!"]]
* It's incredible that that week of strips with the dog falling on Garfield never reached MemeticMutation status.
--> "[[NoIndoorVoice AAATTIC DOOOGGG!]]"
%%* '''''[[http://garfield.com/comic/2003/08/17 I SAT ON A MOUSETRAP!]]'''''
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/1984/01/25 "What more could a man want?" "How about a woman?"]]
* [[http://garfield.com/comic/1993/01/03 Jon scaring off his date by talking about stamp collecting.]]
-->'''Waiter:''' I collect bottle caps.
-->'''Jon:''' '''OH SHUT UP!'''
* Jon and Garfield have gotten so used to Jon's mum's annual HomemadeSweaterFromHell, that when [[http://garfield.com/comic/2012/12/27 she makes Garfield a good sweater]], Jon and Garfield become worried.
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2012/12/09 It's not Christmas without the Inflatable Santa.]]
%%* The [[http://garfield.com/comic/1998/07/01 "Piece Of Dangling String"]] show!
* In one Sunday strip, Garfield gets a phone call telling him he can get a grand prize if he answers two questions: what is the sound a cat makes, and what is the sound a dog makes? Garfield answers the first one correctly, but the second one...he messes that one up deliberately.
** An earlier comic has Garfield winning a new house by correctly answering "What sound does a Felis domesticus (house cat) make?" He does this by meowing into the phone, but then the announcer [[DidntThinkThisThrough asks for his name and address]]. In the next panel, Garfield has fainted, and the announcer is asking, "And how do you spell your name, Mr. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhh?"
* When Garfield wakes up one morning and Jon decides to go jogging...Garfield falls right back to sleep.
** A later strip has Jon waking Garfield up at five in the morning to go jogging... then promptly yawns and falls asleep next to him in his jogging clothes. "I knew that nonsense wouldn't last long."
** Another strip has Jon [[WhatAnIdiot waking Garfield at 5 AM to watch the sunset]]. Garfield's response: "Alright. You can do it from the ambulance".
* A [[http://garfield.com/comic/2013/08/04 comic]] shows Garfield using the PuppyDogEyes trick on Liz to get some cookies. But just then, Liz did it right back at him...making Garfield give his food to her and head over to Jon. His response to that? "She's good."
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/2013/08/14 "Billy Brick wants a fudge bar."]]
%%* "[[http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ga/1989/ga890530.gif You fat greedy pig!]] I oughta shave you bald and put you out in the cold!"
* One comic gives us Garfield ''using an ironing board as a surf board in the shower stall'', resulting in a ''very'' startled Jon as his cat shoots out of the stall on a huge wave shouting "COWABUNGA!" when he opens the door.
--> "Why can't you just bat a piece of string like other cats?!"
* Another example of [[http://garfield.com/comic/2000-10-18 TV-viewing]]:
--> '''TV voice''': It's the "Binky the Clown Show"!
--> '''TV voice''': Today is "Health Day," kids! Let's see who's at the door...
--> '''TV voice''': Why, it's "Petey," the bloated tick!
--> '''Garfield''': That is one ugly puppet.
* Garfield is [[http://garfield.com/comic/1984-09-29 served dinner]]:
-->'''Jon''': Oh, come on, Garfield. The cat food isn't that bad.
-->'''Garfield''': Then let's see how YOU like it! ''[Shoves some of the food into Jon's mouth]''
-->'''Jon''': mmm good.
-->'''Garfield''': [[LargeHam YOU LIE]]!
* [[http://garfield.com/comic/2014-04-27 Jon refusing to understand love stories don't have car chases]].
--> '''Liz''': This is a great love story.
--> '''Jon''': Are there car chases?
--> '''Liz''': It's a love story.
--> '''Jon''': Do they go over cliffs?
--> '''Liz''': It's a '''love''' story.
--> '''Jon''': Do the cars explode?
--> '''Liz''': (angry) Yes! The whole world explodes!
--> '''Jon''': Cool!
--> '''Garfield''': Turn it up!
%%* "[[http://garfield.com/comic/2014/02/23 Coming up next, a local man is gored by his own lawn gnome.]]"
* Garfield attempts to prank a sleeping Odie with sneezing powder. [[http://www.gocomics.com/garfield/2014/05/04#.U4oA_XYXKrk It backfires.]]
* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2014/05/18 Jon wants to put aside doing chores and just rest without guilt.]]
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/2014-06-22 "I'm still asleep, aren't I?"]]
* In [[http://www.gocomics.com/garfield/1989/11/12#.U5YzBHYXKrk this]] strip, Garfield's attempt to kill a housefly might remind some readers of [[ComicStrip/CalvinAndHobbes a certain six-year-old boy.]]
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/2014-06-19 Garfield tries turning younger by changing the date on the calendar.]]
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/2014-07-27 Jon can be such a jinx sometimes.]]
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/1998-09-11 "Garfield, why don't you get up and do something?"]]
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/2000-07-26 "I need a 5/16 drill bit."]]
* [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGbhJjXl9Rk This fanmade video.]] It's intentionally SoBadItsGood.
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/2014-11-23 Garfield makes a wish.]]
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/2012-10-20 "There is a wise man on top of this mountain."]]
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/2002-11-05 Garfield tries his hand at making lemonade.]]
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/1993-09-10 The traditional "Family Around the Hearth."]]
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/1979-10-31 Jon has something for]] [[BigEater Garfield's apetite]].
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/2015-08-03 At least Garfield's being honest.]]
%%* [[http://www.gocomics.com/garfield/1982/09/09 What happens when Garfield uses willpower]].
%%* [[http://garfield.com/comic/1989-12-01 Garfield lets Jon have the last of the ice cream.]]
* This exchange with Irma:
-->'''Irma:''' Hon, you didn't eat your vegetables.
-->'''Jon:''' What are you going to do, call my mother?
-->'''Irma:''' I believe I will!
-->'''Jon:''' ''[Stuffing the veggies into his mouth]'' Look, I'm eating 'em! I'm eating 'em!
-->'''Garfield:''' Tell her he ate his dessert first!
* Jon becomes a mime, and flirts with a lady mime, whose jealous boyfriend beats him up. In the last panel, Jon emits a tiny, "Ow..." and Garfield scolds him with, "Ah ah ah! You're not supposed to talk!"
* The strip involing Garfield finding a giant hamburger, only for the hamburger to tell him that Garfield is dreaming. Cue Garfield bearing claws and fangs yelling (mentally): "NEVER ASSUME!"
* Garfield flushes the alarm clock down the toilet before Jon walks into the bathroom. "The toilet is ringing! What should I do?" "Take a message."
* "I couldn't decide what shirt to wear. [[https://garfield.dale.ro/garfield-2002-october-7.html So I put all of them on]]".
* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2010/07/26 Some time after they started dating,]] Liz joins Jon on a trip to the beach. Jon's mind nearly breaks when he first sees [[MsFanservice Liz in a bikini.]] Even funnier is the way Odie rips off his shades in a double-take.
* Garfield becomes fed up with Jon's snoring and shoves a pillow in his mouth.
-->'''Garfield:''' Oh, pipe down and gimme your pillow.
* Garfield and strange noises at night.
-->'''Garfield:''' The wind, the house settling...
-->'''Jon:''' Wha?!... '''HOOP! YAAAAH!!'''
-->'''Odie:''' YIPE! YIPE! YIPE! YIPE!
-->'''Jon: WOOOAAAHHH!''' ''(CRASH)''
-->'''Garfield:''' Jon getting up and stepping on Odie.
* Another strip Garfield naming all the peaceful sounds of the night... then he [[https://c.garfield.dale.ro/static/images/1992/ga921108.gif hears them all at once]], prompting an AsideGlance. Much later on, the strip gets a CallBack when Garfield complains about not getting enough sleep.
* Garfield and Jon's [[https://garfield.com/comic/2000/09/17 hot pepper eating contest]]. Jon wins by way of Garfield giving in to a Peruvian death pepper...but feels no satisfaction due to Garfield having [[FireBreathingDiner incinerated Jon with his breath]]. Four panels from this comic currently serve as the page image for PyrrhicVictory.
* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2011/05/15 One comic]] has Garfield and Jon celebrate National Drama Day, where they [[ComicalOverreacting completely flip out]] over the smallest things like burnt toast, the fridge light bulb going out, and running out of floss. They finally calm down...only for Garfield to calmly say that Jon's car is on fire.
%%* '''[[https://garfield.com/comic/1992/04/24 SANDWICH!]]'''
%%* Garfield has a good feeling about [[http://www.gocomics.com/garfield/1988/01/16 this restaurant]].
%%* Next on Jon's [[https://garfield.com/comic/2010/07/31 to-do list]] is...[[spoiler: NOOGA! NOOGA! NOOGA!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2016/01/21 Multitasking, baby!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1996/06/10 Garfield's tap dancing is attracting a more sophisticated audience]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2012/12/05 Jon made eggnog]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2008/09/10 Give it up for Garfield!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2014/07/31 Cats can sense when something's wrong]].
%%* During another age crisis, [[https://garfield.com/comic/1982/06/15 Garfield contemplates doing sit-ups]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2003/06/23 Yarn ball attempts to get Garfield to play with it]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1997/12/28 Christmas sweater struggles]].
%%* On Jon's advice, [[https://garfield.com/comic/2013/11/19 Garfield takes a long, hard look at himself]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1998/02/16 A foot of snow fell today]]...concentrated on a very small area.
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2010/09/03 Jon gets Garfield a matching suit]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1990/03/28 Swan pie]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1997/03/27 I'm taking my sock drawer!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1988/02/12 Most kids love building forts and throwing snowballs]]. Jon's are out for world domination.
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1998/12/13 "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TOP OF THE TREE?"]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1990/08/05 Score one for the big guy]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2011/05/15 National Drama Day]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/08/18 Jon and Jelly Beans]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/08/04 Garfield really does hate camping]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/07/28 BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/07/20 Cheese snobs]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/07/12 Odie has discovered the secret to happiness]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/06/29 When Garfield eats everything in the kitchen]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/06/28 That is highly illegal, my friend]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/06/21 Hello summer, goodbye dignity!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/06/20 You should see my grandmother!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/06/09 Liz gets Garfield's test results back]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/06/01 Buttermilk problems]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/05/27 Cotton vs Wool]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/05/21 Jon forgets the laptop has a webcam]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/05/19 I can pick up a radio station on my teeth!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/04/28 INDULGENCE POWER!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/04/22 Snake whistle]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/03/07 Jon goes kite flying]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/03/03 Kale and raisin cookies]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2017/02/19 Jon and Garfield]], terror of the donut shop.
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2016/12/18 Odie hangs the last ornament on the Christmas tree]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2016/11/02 Teenage mice]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2016/10/30 Odie watching a sad movie]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2016/10/02 Dingleball disaster]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2016/09/24 Morning stares]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2015/12/24 Waiting for Santa]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2015/11/09 TIME TO GET UP!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1986/11/09 Escalating food crisis]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2000/10/08 Jon and a farm story]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2015/10/31 Spooky ghost cat]] is here to haunt your house.
* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2007/12/30 It turns out]] that Garfield and Odie are [[ShipperOnDeck very enthusiastic]] for Liz and Jon spending time together.
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1985/08/04 Slammed the window with too much force]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1990/09/12 Apparently]] Jon not wearing socks turns him into a PersonOfMassDestruction.
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2013/12/04 Hair dryer wars]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1987/03/22 When mice go to war]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1995/07/23 Toast marksmanship]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/1990/03/26 PIE TO THE MOON!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2010/11/04 Jon carries a picture of Liz wherever he goes]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2010/07/25 Liz and Garfield versus Jon's outfits]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2010/01/17 Jon's funny body noises club]], everybody.
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2010/02/08 Jon's truly horrific suit]] gets him sent home to change.
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2010/02/28 Garfield and cheese puffs]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2010/08/18 Catsup festival]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2010/11/11 "If you squish me, I will become famous!"]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2016/04/01 How to summon Garfield]]...[[spoiler: just say dessert!]]
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2016/04/10 Fleas check out a house]].
%%* [[https://garfield.com/comic/2016/05/23 ENCORE! ENCORE!]]
%%* On a trip to the beach, [[https://garfield.com/comic/2016/07/15 Garfield hits on the ice cream cones]].
!!For 2004 Live-Action film
* Garfield trying several attempts to wake Jon up.
-->'''Garfield''': ''Oh, Sleeping Beauty, wake up!'' You can stop dreaming about me because I'm here. (''pulls the covers off'') Now just wake up. You've got work to do. You're not just my owner, you're my primary caregiver!\\
'''Jon''': Not now, Garfield. (''rolls over, his arm squeezes Garfield's neck'')\\
'''Garfield''': Ack! Cut the sweet stuff! Easy now! (''pulls his head free then saunters off Jon's bed'') Trying to cuddle with me, huh? Trying to avoid your duties, huh? Well, that just ain't gonna fly! Isn't gonna work for me! ''(climbs up a stack of books to get to the top of a cabinet just across from Jon's bed)'' See, I'm getting my excersize doing my job. Just one quick '''''CANNONBALL!''''' (''leaps off the cabinet and onto Jon's stomach; Jon coughs'') Morning!\\
* Jon takes Odie on his date with Liz, leaving Garfield behind. Garfield begins chasing Liz's pick-up truck and manages to climb onto the bed. Then the traffic light turns red and Liz puts the brakes on, sending Garfield [[GlassSmackAndSlide smacking into the back window]], while Jon and Liz take no notice of him.
-->'''Garfield:''' ''[muffled]'' Oh, my poor nose...
!!For ''A Tale of Two Kitties'':
* Garfield getting stuck in the model of Carlysle castle.
-->'''Garfield''': Does this castle make my butt look a little too big?