* The official rendering for Dawn of Souls. Red Mage is holding onto his/her hat, Fighter has a sword out, and... White Mage is using Black Mage as a human shield.
* And of course, there's that ever so infamous supposedly BadassBoast that got translated as "I, Garland, will knock you all down!" The NarmCharm alone has kept this line translated thus even in the various remakes and remasters with improved scripts.
* Despite lacking overly complex character arcs the game has some decent [[DeadpanSnarker Deadpan Snarkers]], like Matoya and especially [[InsufferableGenius Doctor Unne]].
--> '''Doctor Unne''': Kraken, Fiend of Water, is a joke. A one-eyed squirrel armed with a piece of wet spaghetti could kill twenty Krakens before it needed to heal itself.
* In the NES original, the revelation that [[spoiler:the Lone King in the Western Keep is actually the Dark Elf Astos in disguise]] is, for some reason, punctuated with the same joyous fanfare you hear whenever you get or experience something really good. Evidently, the game thinks it's just ''awesome'' that you're about to lose several party members to [[spoiler:Astos]] and [[ThatOneAttack that damned RUB spell of his]].
* The encounters with [[VideoGame/FinalFantasyV Gilgamesh]] in the remakes:
--> "At long last! The ultimate sword…is…MINE! Now I can finally go home! Hey, where did YOU come from? Oh, you mean you were looking for the Excalibur, too? How rude of me. I mean, the four of you come all this way… Of course I’ll let you have the sword. [[spoiler:...I’d say you’ve been hitting the oxyale a bit hard if you believed THAT!]]" \\
"Let's see how you handle the mighty me! And by me, I mean Gilgamesh! And by handle, I mean DIE!"
* "Ach! I learned my lesson; no more eatin' things I find on the groond."
* The new personalities given to mermaids in the remakes turns them into adorably strange and lovable airheads. For instance, one has this to say about Gilgamesh stomping around in her bailiwick:
--> [[CloudCuckoolander "That guy is great! You guys are great! Everything is great!!"]]
* Whenever you attempt to throw away the Rat Tail:
--> "Ohh, it stinks! Throw it over." "No, DON'T DO THAT!"
* In the original version, the on-map party-healing and save-permitting items are, in order of increasing effectiveness, a tent, a cottage, and a ''[[HyperspaceArsenal house]]''. That's right, your party can carry an entire house, then plant it anywhere on the overworld whenever they need it. However, the remakes downplay this by renaming the items "sleeping bag", "tent", and "cottage", respectively.
* In the remakes, poison damage can be blocked with a ''shield''.