* Tjaden, while telling off [[DrillSergeantNasty Himmelstoss]], quotes "the most famous quote from ''Theatre/GotzVonBerlichingen'' [[note]]That line is "Er kann mich im Arsche lecken!" which translates as "Kiss my ass!"[[/note]] while at the same time he "ventilates his backside". Himmelstoss promptly dissolves into a "screaming mass of drill regulations" before storming off, mumbling about how he'll try to court-martial Tjaden for mooning him.
* Paul running through an artillery barrage, trying desperately to save his freshly cooked pancakes en route to the bunker.
* Quite a lot of the time that they spend at the supply dump is humorous. It provides a sharp MoodWhiplash to what came before and what comes immediately after.
* The joke told about the military doctor who assigns front-line duty to soldiers with wooden legs, and the soldier's retort that maybe he'll get shot in the head and get a wooden head so that they will reassign him to be a military doctor.
* Paul and his friend, having been separated from the others during a bombardment, are both wounded by shell fragments. Having been picked up by a passing ambulance, they start to relax until they realize that in the chaos, they lost the bags of goodies (good cigars/cigarettes, meat, and snacks) they had lifted from a supply depot that morning. Something about the misplaced prioritization just makes the moment hilarious.
* The two sexcapades (Baumer, Kropp and Leer Kat duping Tjaden so they can all get a woman and the others playing a very noisy poker game whilst a wounded man shags his wife ''right there'') are intended to show the way in which they had to take every moment of R and R they got, and add to the tragedy. They are also bloody hilarious.
** Then [[ReallyGetsAround Tjaden]] comes across the river anyway, and, presumably, has three girls all to himself.
* The soldiers killing the rats in the 1979 version. It looks like they start whacking the floor with spades while yelling German swear words.
* Paul and his comrades catching the ducks in the 1979 version.
* "[[DrillSergeantNasty HOME GUARDSMAN KANTOREK!]]"
** Really, the entire Home Guard camp is this. Paul is even struggling ''not'' to crack up at the sight of his very grumpy teacher in an utter disaster of a uniform and being forced to do all the tough jobs while still looking ridiculous. While the high school janitor is arguably the best-dressed home guardsman in the entire camp.
* There's one chapter where Paul describes his duties at the Russian POW camp, which is mostly sad and heartwarming...then he casually drops this line like it's nothing. [[SarcasmMode Thanks, Paul]].
-->'''Paul:''' It's gotten so bad that they don't [[ADateWithRosiePalms masturbate]] anymore, although [[TooMuchInformation usually it is so bad you get a whole regiment going at it at once.]]
* The infamous moment where they grab their portable toilets and happily play cards in the sunshine while they take a dump ''at the same time.''
* There's plenty of BlackComedy to be found, but the finest one is probably when Paul discovers that mortars can blow people out of their clothes, hence the half-naked corpses hanging from tree branches.