* It might seem strange at first in ''7'' when racing underwater doesn't clear away Blooper's ink, until you realize that as an aquatic life-form, Blooper would have little use for water-soluble ink.
* Some kart bodies give a speed boost in the air or underwater. Some are obvious, like the Soda Jet in the air or the Tiny Tug in the sea. It may seem odd that the Pipe Frame gives an underwater speed boost, but remember that water usually travels through pipes.
* ''7'''s gold tires and gold kart give a boost in weight when used due to how dense gold is in real life.
* The Egg 1 in ''7'' offers a huge underwater speed boost due to eggs and osmosis.
* It may be a bit unusual at first for an Arabian theme stage to deal with Shy Guys, but it has shout-outs to VideoGame/SuperMarioBros2, which was originally called ''VideoGame/DokiDokiPanic'', which itself was an Arabian themed game. (And also the first true appearance of the Shy Guys)
* Why is Waluigi Pinball in ''7'' despite Waluigi not being in the game? To make up for not being able to play on Waluigi Pinball online in Mario Kart DS!
* [[http://www.mariowiki.com/images/7/72/Box_UK_-_Mario_Kart_8.jpg The box art for]] ''8'' is apparently referencing SuperMario3DWorld. You have the [[spoiler: six]] main characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, [[spoiler:and Rosalina]], the playable characters, and Bowser, the main antagonist.
* From ''DS'' onward, every Mario Kart has had 32 courses. The same as the number of levels in VideoGame/SuperMarioBros1, and in the same arrangement (8 cups\worlds with 4 levels each). Granted, it could be unintentional, but still.
* Mario Kart 8's Rainbow Road threw many for a loop. Think of it this way, though. The retro Rainbow Road has a mystical, enchanted, magical aesthetic to it. What's the logical way to differentiate a new Rainbow Road from that? Make it a constructed, man-made, spectator track.
* Baby Rosalina's introduced in Mario Kart 8. Confusion arises because Rosalina's implied to be canonically thousands of years old in the past games. However, who says that the time travel method that were used to bring the other baby characters to the present can't go that far out into the past, and that Baby Rosalina can't be taught to drive a go-kart/bike despite both probably not appearing at that place in time?
* Metal Mario's animations are different from the real Mario's by how stiff and sort of robotic they are. In contrast, Pink Gold Peach has animations that are much more fluid than the real Peach's.
* At the start of the second and third laps of Mute City, the racers get a speed boost not there at the start of the race. If one thinks back to any of the F-Zero games, they'll remember that the second lap is when boosts are given. So basically, on the second lap, [[MemeticMutation YOU GOT BOOST POWER]]
** Even more brilliant, when you finish the Mute City race, you are rewarded with the race results music from the original SNES version of ''VideoGame/FZero''! However, that song only plays after you have completed all the courses in a cup. Well, placing Mute City as the last race in the Egg Cup makes the song ''incredibly fitting''.
* Why is Luigi suddenly [[DeathGlare looking so mad]] most of the time in this game? It's because there were no new Luigi tracks in ''Mario Kart 7'' and '''absolutely no new or retro Luigi tracks''' in ''Mario Kart 8''! (Not even in the first DLC!) To make things worse, Mario gets 3 tracks (MK Stadium counts), Wario gets 3, Shy Guy, [[VideoGame/SuperMarioWorld the Dolphins]], and even the Thwomps get their own track! [[TheWoobie No wonder the guy looks so upset.]]
* Whenever Koopa Troopa is a playable character. The Koopa still has a chance to get a shell, think about it for a second...
** Granted, by the time the first Mario Kart game came out, it had already been established in VideoGame/SuperMarioWorld that, unlike real turtles, Koopa shells are detachable and their owners can survive without them. Though that still doesn't answer where all those ''empty'' shells come from...
*** [[VideoGame/PaperMario64 The original Paper Mario]] had a Koopa saying something about how he had his shell custom-made and shipped from somewhere else, so maybe Koopa shells aren't even part of their anatomy. Or they are, but these are fake.
*** When Mario stomps on a Koopa, it loses its' shell and then Mario stomps the Koopa, leaving only the empty shell. After all these years of adventures of stomping Goombas and Koopas, I think they may have found a solution to all of the empty Koopa shells lying around. That's right. ''Let's throw around dead Koopas' shells as weapons!''
* You can throw/set Bob-ombs in Sunshine Airport in ''8''. That's right. You can use explosives in an airport.
** Well, you could also use explosives in Coconut Mall, so ...
%%* There is a bit of Horror for Rosalina in 8. After the races, Baby Rosalina gets to go home to her mother.
* So you're racing, and after taking a break and going to the fridge for a soda/water/what-have-you, you pause and realize that there were babies in the race. Babies whom the other characters (even Mario!) are just as willing to [[WouldHurtAChild hurl bullets, shells, and even bombs at]] as they are the adult racers.