->''"A Dictator? Why, he makes love to beautiful women, drinks champange, enjoys life and never works. He makes speeches to the people promising them plenty, gives them nothing, then takes everything! That's a Dictator."''
-->-- '''Mr. Amscray'''
This 1940 short starring Film/TheThreeStooges was, literally, [[UrExample the first movie]] ''[[OlderThanTheyThink ever]]'' to mock the Nazis.
Set in the country of Moronica, three men plot to overthrow their king and appoint a dictator. Their choice is a paperhanger named Moe Hailstone. With Curly as his Field Marshal and Larry as his Minister of Propaganda, the boys take control of the country. The citizens are unhappy and drive Hailstone out of power.
This was followed by ''[[Recap/TheThreeStoogesIllNeverHeilAgain I'll Never Heil Again]].'' Other Hollywood artists started attacking the Nazis in 1940: Creator/CharlieChaplin did it with ''Film/TheGreatDictator'' and MGM did it with ''Film/TheMortalStorm''. But the Stooges did it first.
!!This film provides examples of:
* AdolfHitlarious: Moe as Moe Hailstone. The UrExample, TropeMaker, and TropeCodifier.
* AsLongAsItSoundsForeign: A quite memorable (and hilarious) example of faux-German
* BalconySpeech / RousingSpeech
* BilingualBonus: Moe's RousingSpeech is full of Yiddish phrases and [[GettingCrapPastTheRadar colorful insults]] that only fellow Yiddish speakers - [[TakeThat the Jews]] - would get.
* ChestOfMedals: Curly's impression of Hermann Goering and Benito Mussolini (even having a similar build to the latter).
* DownerEnding: Short ends with the Stooges being eaten by lions (although they come back for the [[Recap/TheThreeStoogesIllNeverHeilAgain sequel]]...They die in that film too!)
* TheEmpire: Moronica (for Morons!).
* EvilChancellor: Moe Hailstone
* EvilIsHammy: The famous balcony scene.
* FemmeFataleSpy: Mattie Herring.
* GeneralFailure: All three: Hailstone, Gallstone, and Pebble.
* TheGeneralissimo: Field Marshal Curly.
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: The "Giva Dam". Not bad for 1940
* IncrediblyLamePun: Moe takes Curly's "little red book". "Oh a bookkeeper!"
* NoSwastikas: Averted with the criss crossing snakes.
* PunnyName: The map and Mattie Herring, an expy of UsefulNotes/MataHari.
* RippedFromTheHeadlines: Several lines make references to current events, particularly the "[[UsefulNotes/WorldWarII Blitzkrieg]]" line.
* RealitySubtext:[[invoked]] With the little moustache, Moe Howard lookes eerily like Hitler.
* StockFootage: During the balcony speech
* ThisIsAWorkOfFiction: Parodied; the film begins with the notice: "Any resemblance between the characters in this picture and any persons, living or dead, is a miracle".
* ThoseWackyNazis: The UrExample
* VillainProtagonist: The Stooges, for obvious reasons.
* VisualPun: The Moronica symbol is the criss crossing, swastika like snakes.
* WarForFunAndProfit: Mr. Ixnay, Mr. Amscray, and Mr. Onay all run a munitions factory that's going down the tubes due to peace times in Moronica. Their solution? They decide to start a war, the first step being to overthrow the king and appoint Moe as a dictator in his place.
* WrittenInInfirmity: Larry injured his foot before shooting and had to walk around with a limp. Fortunately, Larry was lucky for this film since he was parodying Josef Goebbels, who himself had a limp due to a club foot.