''Yellowbeard'' is a 1983 comedy film starring Graham Chapman, along with Peter Cook, [=Bernard McKenna=] and David Sherlock. It was directed by Mel Damski, and was Marty Feldman's last film appearance.
In the 17th century, the pirate Yellowbeard was incarcerated for twenty years for tax evasion -- apart from his years terrorizing the high seas. He survives the sentence without disclosing the whereabouts of his vast treasure ("...in spite of twenty years of rehabilitation. And torture."). The Royal Navy hatches a plot to increase his sentence by [[LongerThanLifeSentence one hundred and forty years]], knowing that he'll escape in a rage to set out for his treasure. This he does, recruiting a motley crew of companions. He left a map of the treasure in the chimney of his wife's pub, but she burned it -- however, she ''also'' had it tattooed on their son's head. Things go wrong when his former shipmate-turned-traitor Bosun Moon's press gangs take over their ship. With the head of the Secret Service hot on their trail they eventually find the island, where a group of AWOL Spanish conquistadors have taken residence with their ill-gotten gains, and the battle for the treasure commences...
!!''Yellowbeard'' contains examples of:
* ArsonMurderAndJaywalking: The eponymous pirate has committed a long list of heinous crimes, but he was finally [[AlCapone convicted for tax evasion]].
* AllStarCast: Graham Chapman in the title role, and a colorful lineup of comic and character actors supporting him: in alphabetical order, Peter Boyle, Cheech & Chong, John Cleese, Peter Cook, Marty Feldman, Michael Hordern, Eric Idle, Madeline Kahn, Kenneth Mars, James Mason, Spike Milligan, Beryl Reid, and Susannah York. ''And'' an unbilled cameo by [[spoiler: David Bowie]]! It definitely qualifies.
* BlackComedyRape: Betty and Yellowbeard's relationship seems to thrive on this, which is good because Yellowbeard ''loves'' rape.
-->'''Betty:''' Well, it's been awhile since we had a little cuddle.
-->'''Yellowbeard:''' I raped ya, if that's what you mean.
-->'''Betty:''' Okay. It was half-cuddle, half-rape.
* CantGetAwayWithNuthin: Betty (Madeline Kahn) tells her son Dan (Martin Hewitt):
-->"The last time I read a book, [[BlackComedyRape I was raped]] -- let that be a lesson to you."
* CardboardPrison: It's implied that Yellowbeard could have left prison any time he ''wanted'' to, but he honorably served his jail time - and was ''insulted'' by the arbitrary lengthening of his sentence.
* CrosscastRole: Queen Anne is played by Peter Bull (whom most viewers would know from ''Dr. Strangelove'', in which he played the Soviet ambassador).
* CutHimselfShaving: A bar fight with Blind Pew leaves the entire tavern littered with corpses.
-->'''Clement:''' What happened?\\
'''Betty:''' All sudden like! Lucky I was out.\\
'''Clement:''' That man's got a sword in him!\\
'''Betty:''' He fell on it.
* DaddysLittleVillain: Triola, daughter of the greedy religious leader El Nebuloso.
* TheDungAges: Literally, with a girl throwing shit in people's faces if they don't give her money.
* EverythingsEvenWorseWithSharks: Played with when Betty is taken captive by the Royal Navy and pumped for information offscreen. When she's ready to talk, she says, "I think it was that shark that jogged my memory." [[spoiler:"The Shark" is the handsome sailor (David Bowie) who brings her into the office, and who has a shark's fin strapped to his back; he "jogged her memory" via sex.]]
* GenreSavvy: Yellowbeard.
* GirlsWithMoustaches: "Mr. Prostitute" is obviously a woman wearing a false moustache.
* AGodAmI: El Nebuloso. He even points to himself when saying everyone must serve God.
* GoldDigger: Triola, and Dan doesn't seem to care.
* HumanNotepad: Dan, the son of Yellowbeard, has a treasure-map tattooed on his head.
* IAmAHumanitarian: Yellowbeard, at least when trying to get rid of maps.
* JusticeByOtherLegalMeans: The narrator at the beginning, after giving a laundry list of the title character's atrocities, including tearing men's hearts out and swallowing them whole, and "Often forcing men to eat their own lips, he was eventually caught and imprisoned...for tax evasion."
* LongerThanLifeSentence: The impetus of the story is the fact the Royal Navy wanted to increase his sentence of 140 years so that he escapes and recovers his treasure.
* MyDeathIsJustTheBeginning: "Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead!"
* NotSoHarmlessVillain: Dan, and Yellowbeard can't be more pleased when Dan "betrays" him.
-->'''Dr. Gilpin:''' And that's Dr. Anthrax.
-->'''Betty:''' That's Yellowbeard.
-->'''Yellowbeard:''' I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!
** Also, Mr. Prostitute.
** [[LampshadeHanging Lampshaded]] in one scene.
--->'''Captain Hughes:''' What's that?
--->'''Mr. Crisp:''' Oh, that's my box, sir.
--->'''Captain Hughes:''' No, ''carrying'' your box.
--->'''Mr. Crisp:''' Oh, Cabin Boy Smith, sir.
--->'''Captain Hughes:''' Smith has ''tits''.
--->'''Mr. Crisp:''' He's been a bit ill, sir.
--->'''Captain Hughes:''' Get her off!
* SecondFaceSmoke: Mr. Pew has smoke blown in his face, but he coughs in an extremely dignified way twice before continuing as before.
* TheStoner: Lord Lambourn. In keeping with the times, he's addicted to snuff.
-->'''Betty:''' You're all going after the treasure!
-->'''The men:''' No!
-->'''Lord Lambourn:''' Uh, botanical...
-->'''Yellowbeard:''' Killing plants!
* SweetPollyOliver: Spoofed. One of the ship's officers is named "Mr. Prostitute" and is an obvious woman with a fake mustache.
* TookALevelInBadass: [[spoiler: Dan finally learns what it means to be a Yellowbeard. "Us Yellowbeards are ''never'' more dangerous than when we're dead!"]]
* WellDoneSonGuy: Dan and Yellowbeard, oh so much.
-->'''Yellowbeard:''' Oh, been out raping, lad? ''(sees Troila)'' Nice work lad.
-->'''Dan:''' No, I haven't raped her!
-->'''Yellowbeard:''' ''(disappointed)'' No, you wouldn't have you poncy little git! You're not the prawn of my loins, your mother's a bloody liar! ''(grins)'' That's what I liked about her!