''What to Expect When You're Expecting'' is a film that focuses on five couples who are prospective parents. It is based on the pregnancy manual of the same name.
The couples in the film include:
* Jules and Even: Jules is a TV fitness guru and Even is a dance show star whose lives take an unexpected turn upon finding out that Jules is pregnant.
* Wendy and Gary: Wendy is a baby-crazy author who finds out that she is pregnant. Her husband is struggling to not be outdone by his father.
* Skylar and Ramsey: Skylar is expecting twins -- while her much older husband, Ramsey, can't resist rubbing the fact in Gary's (his son) face.
* Holly and Alex: Holly wants to adopt a baby from overseas, while Alex has his doubt. Alex seeks the company of a "dude" support group.
* Rosie and Marco: Rosie and Marco are rival food truck chefs who unexpectedly meet each other. Rosie gets pregnant in the heat of the moment, but is reluctant to forgive Marco for standing her up back in high school.
* ChekhovsGun: The bundle of money Ramsay offers to Gary when he was visiting Ramsay. Gary uses it to bribe a nurse into helping Wendy and Gary.
* CoversAlwaysLie: The DVD cover shows the five women together, but they never are in the movie together and are only loosely connected to each other.
** Also the fathers' of the pregnant women shown above are not the guys shown below.
* ConvenientMiscarriage: Averted, but discussed. [[spoiler:Rosie wakes up bleeding and Marco takes her to the hospital, but too late; we see their silent reactions. Since they had decided to keep the baby--abortion is never discussed onscreen, though it might have been in the time we didn't see--they are upset, but Rosie masks her pain by implying it's her fault because she hadn't wanted the baby at first, and that it's good for her and Marco, who'd never been on an actual date prior to the one night stand and then the pregnancy. It is implied through dialogue that Rosie suffered a period of depression after the miscarriage. Towards the end of the film, she says to Marco that it will happen again when the timing is better and she's more prepared, and they walk off holding hands.]]
* HappilyMarried: Skylar and Ramsay, despite their age difference, along with Wendy and Gary.
* ImperiledInPregnancy: Rebel Wilson's character tells her pregnant boss that her sister got herpes because of her pregnancy.
* InstantBirthJustAddWater: Skylar has the easiest birth of the lot, to ridiculous levels. She sneezes and that's enough of a push needed.
** However, she seems to be the one having the hardest time after the birth, with the ending montage showing her and Ramsey each holding a baby, looking distressed and trying to get them to stop crying, while all the other parents are shown laughing and playing with their children.
* LamazeClass: Averted - not one in sight!
* LawOfInverseFertility: Wendy and Gary struggle to conceive for a long time with no success. After deciding to take a break from baby-making, they go for a picnic, open a bottle of wine. . .and their son is conceived during a drunken romp in the bushes. Averted with Holly and Alex, who also struggle with infertility, eventually deciding to adopt, but never get pregnant naturally.
* MamaBear: When Ramsey and his buddies embarrass Gary at Skylar's baby shower, she rips him a new one, makes him go apologize, and shuts off any comments Ramsey's buddies might make with a serious DeathGlare.
* MorningSickness: The opening of the movie, and indicates that Jules is pregnant. Lampshaded by the dance show host.
* MySecretPregnancy: Rosie never seems to tell her friends about her pregnancy
** [[spoiler:We might not have seen it, but it can be assumed they know. She was showing, if not much, when she had her miscarriage, and her friends comment on her subsequent depression, as though they know the source. One of her coworkers also observes her staring sadly at parents and children and seems sympathetic.]]
* PanickyExpectantFather: Alex and Gary
* PrecisionFStrike: Jules (on live-television!) when she's getting her first contractions.
* ScreamingBirth: Jules
* SurprisePregnancy: Rosie
* TrailersAlwaysLie: The trailers imply that the movie is a slapstick comedy with the Dude's Group having a major focus. While it is a comedy, it does have plenty of serious moments towards the end and the Group is only a minor part of the movie.
* ThreeMonthOldNewborn: Wendy's baby is unquestionably large and clean for having just being born [[spoiler:via C-section]].
* VomitDiscretionShot: Most of the nausea in this film comes in this form. Jules' vomit could be seen in the dancing trophy, though.
* WickedStepmother: Averted. Skylar is young enough to be Gary's sister and comes across as a bit of a [[DumbBlonde dim bulb]], yet she is a genuinely nice person who obviously cares for her stepson and his wife. She does indulge Ramsey's competitiveness with Gary to a point, but it's more from her being TheDitz and not noticing than this trope played straight. When Ramsey crosses a line in front of her, she let's him know in no uncertain terms that she will not tolerate behavior that leads to family disharmony.