''Uptown Girls'' is a 2003 film starring Creator/BrittanyMurphy and Creator/DakotaFanning. The plot is comedic and mainly involves Molly Gunn playing nanny to [[LittleMissSnarker Larraine "Ray" Schleine]]. There's also an romantic subplot, and the story also deals with [[MyParentsAreDead dead]] [[DisappearedDad parents]], growing up, and delves into the characters' issues to form an amusing but heartwarming film.
!!This film provides examples of:
* BookEnds: Ray says something insightful at the opening and closing of the movie.
* ControlFreak: Ray is written all over this trope.
* CoolBigSis: Molly tries to play this to Ray.
* DeadpanSnarker: [[HypercompetentSidekick Ingrid]] and Ray.
* DumbassHasAPoint: Ray and Molly have a tea party-
-->'''Ray: Why are you buttering a plastic scone?'''
-->'''Molly: ...Why are there plastic scones when we have real food on the table? Huh?'''
* IronicEcho: "Fundamentals are the building blocks of fun."
* KnownOnlyByTheirNickname: "Nobody calls me Larraine."
* ManicPixieDreamGirl : A bit of a subversion in that the film deals mostly with the women's perspective. Molly could be this to the burgeoning rock star, but their relationship is doomed until they both grow up.
* MyParentsAreDead: Molly essentially says this to Neal, and later describes the situation to Ray.
* ParentalAbandonment: Both Molly and Ray, but in different ways.
* PinkySwear: Subverted, as the fear of germs gets in the way of the pinkies linking.
* ShoutOut: "What is this, ''Film/TheShining''?"
* SpoiledSweet: Molly in the beginning. She has all of her birthday gifts taken to the Salvation Army without even looking at them.
* ThereAreNoTherapists: Averted.
-->'''Molly''': Kid, have you ever been to a shrink?\\
'''Ray''': Since I was three.
* TroublingUnchildlikeBehaviour: Ray, Ray, Ray. The pill-popping, the ridiculously advanced vocabulary, the flipping off of anyone who dares displease her, etc.
* WalkingShirtlessScene: Neal spends almost as much screen time without his shirt on as he does with it.