''Uptown Girls'' is a 2003 film starring Creator/BrittanyMurphy and Creator/DakotaFanning. The plot is comedic and mainly involves Molly Gunn playing nanny to [[LittleMissSnarker Larraine "Ray" Schleine]]. There's also an romantic subplot, and the story also deals with [[MyParentsAreDead dead]] [[DisappearedDad parents]], growing up, and delves into the characters' issues.
!!This film provides examples of:
* BookEnds: Ray says something insightful at the opening and closing of the movie.
* CastingCouch: [[spoiler:Neal got his record deal by sleeping with Ray's mom.]]
* ControlFreak: Ray is written all over this trope.
* CoolBigSis: Molly tries to play this to Ray.
* DeadpanSnarker: [[HypercompetentSidekick Ingrid]] and Ray.
* DumbassHasAPoint: Ray and Molly have a tea party-
-->'''Ray:''' Why are you buttering a plastic scone?
-->'''Molly:''' ...Why are there plastic scones when we have real food on the table? Huh?
* FreudianExcuse: The reason Molly is such a [[ManChild Woman Child]] is because she never received closure for her parents' passing, and getting lost in a party animal lifestyle is her way of keeping the grief at bay.
* IronicEcho: "Fundamentals are the building blocks of fun."
* ItsAllJunk: Molly sells her deceased rock star dad's collection of guitars for significantly less than she anticipates, and she goes through with the sale just to get rid of them.
* KnownOnlyByTheirNickname: "Nobody calls me Lorraine."
* ManicPixieDreamGirl : A bit of a subversion in that the film deals mostly with the women's perspective. Molly could be this to Neal the burgeoning rock star, but their relationship is doomed until they both grow up.
* MyParentsAreDead: Molly essentially says this to Neal, and later describes the situation to Ray.
* ParentalAbandonment: Both Molly and Ray, but in different ways.
* ParentalNeglect: Ray's mother cares little for her daughter's emotional wellbeing, preferring to simply fund whatever happens to keep her complacent, and misinterprets Ray's TroublingUnchildlikeBehavior as a sign of maturity. By the epilogue, thanks to a TheReasonYouSuckSpeech from Molly, it appears that she has started to make amends.
* PinkySwear: Subverted, as the fear of germs gets in the way of the pinkies linking.
* RoyaltiesHeir : Molly has been living on the royalties from her dad's music.
* ShoutOut: "What is this, ''Film/TheShining''?"
* SpoiledSweet: Molly is vastly out of touch with the world outside her wealth, but she's still a friendly woman who cares for people.
* ThereAreNoTherapists: Averted.
-->'''Molly:''' Kid, have you ever been to a shrink?\\
'''Ray:''' Since I was three.
* TroublingUnchildlikeBehavior: Ray, Ray, Ray. The pill-popping, the ridiculously advanced vocabulary, the flipping off of anyone who dares displease her, etc.
* WalkingShirtlessScene: Neal spends almost as much screen time without his shirt on as he does with it.
* WiseBeyondTheirYears: Ray.