''Up in Smoke'' is a 1978 StonerFlick written by and starring Creator/CheechAndChong; Lou Adler is credited as director, but Tommy Chong directed significant parts of it without credit.
The plot meanders quite a bit as it follows the two as they search for ways to score marijuana. Along the way, they are pursued by a set of highly incompetent drug agents who are trying to intercept a van made of pure "plasticized" marijuana that the duo are driving unawares.
The film is notable for being the first feature film starring Cheech and Chong and was a financial success with much of its revenue, perhaps surprisingly, coming from Texas and Canada.
!! This movie contains examples of:
* TheAllegedCar: Chong's VW Beetle (with the Rolls Royce hood). It doesn't even make it past the first five minutes of the film.
* BattleOfTheBands: Where Cheech, Chong and their band eventually end up... "Rock Fight Of The Century" at the Roxy.
* ButtMonkey: Sgt. Stedanko
* CoolCar: Pedro's Love Ma-cheen!
* EverybodyMustGetStoned: The DEA agents who are chasing them eventually get high [[spoiler:when a vehicle made out of marijuana starts smoking while they're standing next to it.]]
* HollywoodNuns: A car full of them at the Mexican border, who Stedanko's squad mistakenly bust for weed smuggling.
* ImmuneToDrugs: Chong's character, Man, doesn't get a buzz from a joint that sets everyone else on their ear.
* MsFanservice: One of the female hitchhikers is clearly not wearing a bra... and at one point does a little ToplessnessFromTheBack.
* MundaneObjectAmazement: Man is very impressed by Pedro's utterly crappy car and its cheesy stylings.
* NoNameGiven: Man's real name is Anthony [[MeaningfulName Stoner.]] His first name is mentioned by his parents in his opening scene, [[EveryoneCallsHimBarkeep but everyone else just calls him 'Man'.]]
* NotWhatItLooksLike: People think that Man is having energetic sex with a woman in a van when, in fact, she's just describing a friend's sexual encounter with some very enthusiastic sound effects.
** "Hey, I didn't know your name was Alex."
* PottyEmergency: Pedro's struck with one inside the "upholstery" plant.
* PunishmentBox: The back seat of Sgt Stedanko's car serves as one for his incompetent and clueless subordinates.
* RunningGag: Getting a whiff of the super-potent weed truck leads to the munchies. [[spoiler:Not even Stedanko's squad is safe in the end.]]
* ShellShockedVeteran: Played for laughs when Pedro takes Man to meet his cousin Strawberry.
** [[ComicallyMissingThePoint "Yeah, that 'Nam grass will fuck anyone up, man."]]
** At one point, Cheech is reenacting dialogue from the Creator/LaurelAndHardy movie ''Saps at Sea''.
** The song "Star Star" from Music/TheRollingStones' ''Music/GoatsHeadSoup'' is playing on a record, until the record skips and repeats the line "Star Fucker, Star" ad infinitum.
* StonersAreFunny: This should go without saying.
* VanityLicensePlate: Pedro's Car: MUF DVR (A euphemism for oral sex on a woman.)
** The Weed Van: YESCA (Chicano slang for marijuana.)
* WatchItStoned: Played straight as well as averted in the scene where Cheech has way too much of a very powerful joint and, as a consequence, suffers intense paranoia.