'''''21 Grams''''' is a 2003 American drama film directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu and written by Guillermo Arriaga. It stars Creator/SeanPenn, Creator/NaomiWatts, Danny Huston, and Creator/BenicioDelToro.
Like Arriaga's and González Iñárritu's previous film, ''AmoresPerros'' (2000), ''21 Grams'' interweaves several plot lines, around the consequences of a tragic automobile accident. Penn plays a critically ill academic mathematician, Watts plays a grief-stricken mother, and del Toro plays a born-again Christian ex-convict whose faith is sorely tested in the aftermath of the accident.
''21 Grams'' is presented in a non-linear arrangement where the lives of the characters are depicted before and after the accident. The three main characters each have 'past', 'present', and 'future' story threads, which are shown as non-linear fragments that punctuate elements of the overall story, all imminently coming toward each other and coalescing as the story progresses.
!!This film provides examples of:
* AbusiveParents: In an establishing moment, Jack not only lets his son hit his daughter but forces her to take another hit, quoting scripture. Then hitting his son for his act to begin with.
* TheAtoner: Deconstructed with Jack. He genuinely wants to do good and atone for his actions but comes across as condescending, hypocritical and selfish, not really thinking how his actions will affect his family.
* BillyNeedsAnOrgan: Sean Pean's character
* FakeAmerican: Naomi Watts as Christina.
* HeelFaithTurn: Jack Jordan (Benicio del Toro), but whether he's really better than before becomes a critical question of the film.
* HolierThanThou: Jack
* OffTheWagon: Naomi Watts' character
* StalkerWithACrush: Paul follows Christina around for a while without revealing how he knows her.