'''''Trouble in Paradise''''' is a 1932 pre-[[UsefulNotes/TheHaysCode code]] RomanticComedy film directed by Creator/ErnstLubitsch and starring Miriam Hopkins, Kay Francis, and Herbert Marshall. A gentleman thief and a lady pickpocket join forces to con a beautiful perfume company owner.
In 1991, ''Trouble in Paradise'' was selected for preservation by the United States NationalFilmRegistry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".
!!This film provides examples of:
%%* BatmanGambit: Gaston does this anytime he believes someone might recognize him. (deactivated: zero context)
* BookEnds: The movie starts and finishes with [[spoiler:Gaston and Lily showing the other what they have stolen from each other and then kissing.]]
* BrickJoke: "What? You found a handbag? Well, you're three weeks too late."
* DoesThisRemindYouOfAnything: The movie is completely shameless about it.
-->'''Gaston''': Good night, Madame. And let me tell you again, you dance like a dream.
-->'''Mme. Colet''': Oh no, it's the way you lead.
-->'''Gaston''': No, Madame, it's the way you follow.
* GentlemanThief: Gaston.
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: In the opening credits the words 'Trouble in' appear and then a bed before the word 'paradise,' subliminally indicating that sex is at least part of the film's plot. It was done so subtly for the time that censors didn't notice it until the film's attempted re-release in 1935.
* HaveWeMet: Hilariously played with; Francois is quite insistent that he's never met Gaston before. Then he remembers where he *does* know him from.
-->'''Francois:''' [[CrowningMomentOfFunny Tonsils! Positively tonsils!]]
* KarmaHoudini: The protagonists are crooks and don't get caught. At the time. this was a violation of UsefulNotes/TheHaysCode and caused the film to be withdrawn from circulation and was not seen again until 1968.
* LoveTriangle: Between Lily, Mariette and Gaston.
* RunningGag: "I have a confession to make"
* ScrewTheRulesIHaveMoney: Called out by Gaston. Although, you have to remember he is the thief.
-->'''Gaston''': I see. You have to be in the Social Register to keep out of jail. But when a man starts at the bottom and works his way up, a self-made crook, then you say, "Call the police! Put him behind bars! Lock him up!"
-->From Geneva comes the news that the famous international crook, Gaston Monescu, robbed the peace conference yesterday. He took practically everything except the peace.
* VictoriasSecretCompartment: Lily usually hides the things she steals there. Not always with success, though.