Witty and sophisticated pre-[[UsefulNotes/TheHaysCode code]] comedy from director Ernst Lubitsch about a couple of crooks planning to steal from a rich entrepreneur.
* BatmanGambit: Gaston does this anytime he believes someone might recognize him.
* BookEnds: The movie starts and finishes with [[spoiler:Gaston and Lily showing the other what they have stolen from each other and then kissing.]]
* DoesThisRemindYouOfAnything: The movie is completely shameless about it.
-->'''Gaston''': Good night, Madame. And let me tell you again, you dance like a dream.
-->'''Mme. Colet''': Oh no, it's the way you lead.
-->'''Gaston''': No, Madame, it's the way you follow.
* HaveWeMet: Hilariously played with; Francois is quite insistent that he's never met Gaston before. Then he remembers where he *does* know him from.
-->'''Francois:''' [[CrowningMomentOfFunny Tonsils! Positively tonsils!]]
* RunningGag: "I have a confession to make"
* ScrewTheRulesIHaveMoney: Called out by Gaston. Although, you have to remember he is the thief.
-->'''Gaston''': I see. You have to be in the Social Register to keep out of jail. But when a man starts at the bottom and works his way up, a self-made crook, then you say, "Call the police! Put him behind bars! Lock him up!"
-->From Geneva comes the news that the famous international crook, Gaston Monescu, robbed the peace conference yesterday. He took practically everything except the peace.
* VictoriasSecretCompartment: Lily usually hides the things she steals there. Not always with success, though.