'''''Tideland''''' is a 2005 fantasy/comedy/drama film directed by Creator/TerryGilliam. It is based on the novel of the same name by Mitch Cullin.
Jodelle Ferland plays Jeliza-Rose, a spritely young girl with negligent, drug-addicted white trash hippie parents. [[ImaginaryFriend Her only friends are the severed Barbie doll heads she wears on her fingers]]. After her mother dies of a drug overdose one night, she and her father Noah (JeffBridges) flee to Noah's mother's farm in the countryside of Texas. Finding it abandoned, they settle in anyway. Noah himself dies of a drug overdose on the first night. But because Jeliza is used to her parents being unconscious for long periods of time, she doesn't realize this and she leaves him upright in his armchair, slowly decaying, for the course of the film.
Jeliza spends the days wandering about the estate with her doll's head companions and begins slipping into a dark, hallucinogenic fantasy. She encounters two backwoods neighbors: the mentally disabled ManChild Dickens (Brendan Fletcher), and his older sister Dell (Janet Mc Teer). Dickens dresses in a scuba outfit and is obsessed with destroying a "monster shark" he believes is stalking the estate (actually a train). Dell burned her father's beehives after they stung her mother to death and now believes all bees in the world harbor a personal vendetta against her. The two take Jeliza under their wing (in a sense), going so far as to [[MummiesAtTheDinnerTable preserve Noah's body through taxidermy]]. Dickens and Jeliza slowly develop their own kind of PuppyLove, while Dickens continues planning to destroy the train.
Because of the unconventional nature of the film and some scenes of romance between a young girl and a mentally disabled adult, the film's release was extremely limited and it scarcely turned a buck. Critical reception to it generally tended to be negative too. Nevertheless, it was a box office hit in Japan and won the FIPRESCI Prize at the San Sebastian Film Festival
Compare ''Literature/AliceInWonderland'' (which the film references), ''Film/TheFall'', and ''Film/PansLabyrinth''.
!!This film provides examples of:
* AbusiveParents: Jeliza Roses mother is the more inept of the two parents to the point where she is harmful. [[spoiler: It also might be implied that Dell is Jelizas real mother, and she is hardly any better.]]
* TheAloner: Jeliza.
* BittersweetEnding:[[spoiler: Dickens gets the blow up the train, with the obvious result of death and mayhem. However, a kind woman takes Jeliza Rose, believing her to have been on the train.]]
* [[BigBrotherBully Big Sister Bully]]: Dell to Dickens
* BlackComedy: Jeliza Rose doesn't grasp that her father [[spoiler:has died]], leading to "hilarious" misunderstandings.
* BrotherSisterIncest: Of course, one's a lobotomized man-child, and the other is batshit insane.
* ChildrenAreInnocent: Jeliza Rose is reasonably happy in a world populated by dysfunctional, insane adults.
* CompanionCube: Jeliza Roses doll heads.
* CloudCuckooLander: Dickens. And Dell.
* DownTheRabbitHole: The main plot -- yet may be regarded a deconstruction, as the fantastic world Jeliza Rose delves into exists only in her own imagination (plus the insane minds of the adults around her). Lampshaded when Jeliza Rose literally falls down a rabbit hole straight from ''Alice in Wonderland''.
* ImaginaryFriend: The doll heads. Also the squirrel.
* FanDisservice: The sex scene between Dell and Patrick is not the slightest bit arousing.
* GenreBusting: On this page alone it's described as a fantasy, a comedy and a drama, and the page image prominently describes it as a "poetic horror".
* KillItWithFire: Dell to some bees.
* ManChild: Dickens.
* MummiesAtTheDinnerTable: Dickens and Dell have taxidermied their mother too.
* ParentalNeglect: Nevertheless, Jeliza Rose has a loving relationship with her father -- even though he is greatly inept at caring for her.
* PetTheDog: Dell is built up to be the psychopathic antagonist for much the film until she realizes [[spoiler: Jeliza is living alone with her dead father.]] She welcomes her as part of the family and helps her fix up the dilapidated farm house. [[spoiler: It doesn't last though, as Dell is still insane and she turns villainous towards the end.]]
* ThePollyanna: Jeliza Rose
* TalkingAnimal: The squirrels.