[[caption-width-right:338:"We three kings be stealing the gold.."]]
'''''Three Kings''''' is a 1999 movie directed by Creator/DavidORussell and starring Creator/GeorgeClooney, Music/IceCube, Creator/MarkWahlberg, and Creator/SpikeJonze.
It's a comedy/drama set during the Iraqi uprising at the end of the 1991 GulfWar, also known as Operation Desert Storm. During the surrender of Iraqi soldiers, one Iraqi soldier is found to be concealing a map that ends up showing the location of gold that Saddam Hussein had plundered from Kuwait.
The four American soldiers sneak away from the camp, sending their attached journalist on a wild goose chase with another soldier, in order to find and steal the gold. Naturally, wacky hijinks ensue and the four soldiers become involved in the uprising.
!!This movie contains examples of:
* AMFMCharacterization: One of the soldiers wants to listen to heavy metal music while going into battle. Another soldier criticizes his musical choice and suggest they go into battle with something soothing to calm their nerves and plays an easy-listening song, showing a definite personality clash.
* AssShove: How the TreasureMap is hidden.
* BatmanGambit: The soldiers and their rebel allies play this card on the guards of the Oasis Bunker, which holds Troy Barlow as a prisoner. Arriving in a fleet of luxury cars, one rebel [[DressingAsTheEnemy dressed as an Iraqi general]] yells at the soldiers for their "failures" and claims that Saddam Hussein is coming to personally execute them. It gets most of the garrison to run away, making it easier for the Americans and the rebels to get inside and rescue Barlow.
* BannedInChina: Banned in Iraq, of course. Until [[TonyBlair things]] [[GeorgeWBush changed]].
** Major Gates describes sepsis during a graphic shot of a bullet penetrating internal organs. [[spoiler: Later, one character is shot in the chest and another character dies of sepsis.]]
** The Nerf football rigged with C-4. [[spoiler:Conrad Vig has an entire bag of them, and Chief Elgin uses one to take out a '''helicopter.''']]
* ChildSoldier: One young boy was sniping Iraqi soldiers from a tower while the main characters retreated. [[spoiler:The tank took care of him]].
* ClusterFBomb: Most of the movie. Saïd in particular seems to have learned his English from some rather foul mouthed American soliders.
* DistractedFromDeath: [[spoiler:Conrad dies unnoticed from a shoulder wound while everyone is tending to the seemingly more seriously injured Troy.]]
* ElectricTorture: Troy. Incidentally, Mark Wahlberg was shocked for real during his torture scenes.
* ElitesAreMoreGlamorous: Subverted with Maj. Gates, as he is a decorated Ranger/Special Forces officer who is serving with Delta Force for his last month in the Army.
* FakeNationality: French-Moroccan Saïd Taghmaoui playing an Iraqi soldier named Saïd. Nice accent, and as always, [[LaHaine great acting]].
-->'''Saïd:''' What is the problem with MichaelJackson ?
** Also New Zealander Cliff Curtis as a Shi'ite Iraqi rebel
* HollywoodDensity: Played straight with the characters tossing and carrying gold bars. Somewhat averted with the suitcases, which rip immediately when picked up (although in real life the other suitcases would not be able to handle the load they did, either).
* InfantImmortality: Averted. [[spoiler: The child soldier is killed by the tank]].
* IJustShotMarvinInTheFace: Semi-lampshaded. Chief Elgin [[PistolWhipping pistol whips]] an Iraqi soldier and his gun fires a round, which sends everyone diving for cover to avoid the ricochet. Afterward Gates tells him to keep his finger off the trigger.
* MeaningfulName: "Three Kings" is one of the names given to the [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_Magi Biblical Magi]].
* MoodWhiplash: Everything was going fine, they [[spoiler: got the gold]] in the truck, then some Iraqi soldier [[spoiler: is ordered to shoot some woman [[YourHeadASplode in the head]]. He does.]]
* NonIndicativeName: As per MeaningfulName, the "Three Kings" in question are not the lead characters, of whom there are four.
* NotSoDifferent: During the interrogation/torture sequence, Saïd talks about how he only joined the army to provide for his wife and child. This visibly shakes Troy, who joined the Army Reserve for the extra cash to support his family.
* SouthernFriedPrivate: Conrad Vig. For one, he's easily the dumbest of the four, he calls Iraqis "dune coons", and he repeatedly threatens to shoot Iraqi prisoners whenever dealing with them.
* SuperCellReception: One character manages to make a phone call to his wife, on a cell phone, in the middle of Iraq just after the First Gulf War, from inside a fortified bunker. Granted, he does go through a few phones before he finds one that works.
* TotallyRadical: A minor example. During the torture scene, Saïd continually refers to Troy as "my main man," and at one point refers to torture as a "big bummer." Both are rather dated slang for a movie set in the first Gulf War. Justified, as the phrase was fairly common when he probably learned English.
* TreasureMap: Found in a surrendering soldier's butt, and referred to as the "Iraqi ass map".