->'''Mildred:''' Hey Johnny, what are you rebelling against?
->'''Johnny:''' Whadda you got?
''The Wild One'' is a 1953 film produced by Creator/StanleyKramer, directed by László Benedek, and starring Creator/MarlonBrando.
While not Brando's first film, it was one of the first to play off of his counterculture image; his portrayal of alienated biker gang leader Johnny Strabler was one of the iconic touchstones of [[TheFifties Fifties]] youth culture, and has been referenced, homaged, and parodied many times in the decades since. The story involves Strabler and company riding into a quiet town of "squares", causing tension between the locals, and tangling with a rival biker gang headed by Chino (Creator/LeeMarvin).
This film was banned in the UK until 1968. And ''Film/CoolAsIce'' is a remake of this. Yeah.
* AbuseMistake: One of the townspeople mistakenly assumes Johnny has assaulted Kathie, leading to a vigilante mob catching and beating him.
* BadassBiker: Probably the most iconic portrayal.
* EvilIsHammy: See the entry for LargeHam, below.
* GayBravado: Chino makes some comments ("Johnny, I love ya!") that could be interpreted as this.
* JiveTurkey: All of the bikers.
* LargeHam: Chino, especially when compared to the relatively [[TheStoic stoic]] Johnny. Apparently, this was in part due to MethodActing; Creator/LeeMarvin was actually drunk on the set for scenes where his character was (pretty much all of them).
* MenaceDecay: From a modern point of view, Johnny's gang might come off as less "scary outlaw bikers" and more "typical obnoxious teenagers".
* NiceHat: Johnny wears one.
* PerpetualFrowner: Johnny.
* PopCulturalOsmosis: This is one of those movies where you're more likely to see a parody before the real thing.
* ReasonableAuthorityFigure: Chief Bleeker doesn't want to charge the bikers for a simple accident. In fact all of the police officers in the film seem reasonable, looking for a peaceful solution and trying to get the gang to leave rather than cause any riots.
* RippedFromTheHeadlines: The story is loosely based off of the events of the 1947 [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollister_riot Hollister Riot]].
* ShoutOut: Mutt Williams in ''Film/IndianaJonesAndTheKingdomOfTheCrystalSkull'' is a reference to Johnny in looks, not so much in attitude.
* TotallyRadical: The bikers ''totally'' fit in this trope. One of the best example would be this [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ljIknCjMw "Dig the Rebop?"]] scene.
* TroubledButCute: Johnny.
* UptightLovesWild: There is some mutual affection between the Wild Johnny and the Uptight Kathie.