''The Wackiest Ship in the Army'' is a 1960 comedy film starring Creator/JackLemmon and Ricky Nelson as two men manning the USS ''Echo'' alongside a fairly (at first) incompetent crew as they sail to Japan in hopes of studying enemy tactics.
!!This movie contains examples of:
* ArtisticLicenseMilitary: [[CriticalResearchFailure Right in the title!]]
* TheCaptain: Poor Lt. Rip Crandall.
* GotVolunteered: One guy early on.
* HisNameReallyIsBarkeep: A.J. Sparks, Radioman.
* NonIndicativeName: Not quite the laugh out loud comedy we were promised; technically it's a comedy-''drama''.
* RecycledTheSeries: There was one made in 1965.
* SpyShip: The film (and the subsequent RecycledTheSeries) was set in the Pacific theater of World War II and centered about the crew of the a leaky wooden twin-masted schooner (the USS ''Echo'' in the movie and the USS ''Kiwi'' in the series) whose mission was to place spies behind Japanese lines. The ship's cover was an itinerant trading vessel sailing under a neutral flag.