''The Wackiest Ship in the Army'' is a 1960 film starring Jack Lemmon and Ricky Nelson as two men manning the USS ''Echo'' alongside a fairly (at first) incompetent crew as they sail to Japan in hopes of studying enemy tactics.
!!This movie contains examples of:
* ArtisticLicenseMilitary: [[CriticalResearchFailure Right in the title!]]
* TheCaptain: Poor Lt. Rip Crandall.
* GotVolunteered: One guy early on.
* HisNameReallyIsBarkeep: A.J. Sparks, Radioman.
* NamesTheSame: There was also a Lt. Crandall in ''Operation Petticoat'', which starred Jack Lemmon's close friend Tony Curtis.
* NonIndicativeName: Not quite the laugh out loud comedy we were promised; technically it's a comedy-''drama''.
* RecycledTheSeries: There was one made in 1965.