''The Villain'', AKA ''[[MarketBasedTitle Cactus Jack]]'', is a 1979 comedy directed by [[Film/TheCannonballRun Hal]] [[Film/SmokeyAndTheBandit Needham]] parodying western films in general. It stars Creator/ArnoldSchwarzenegger as Handsome Stranger (that's literally his name), who is escorting Charming Jones (played by Creator/AnnMargret) so that she can claim money left by her father, Parody Jones. Avery Simpson (Creator/JackElam), the corrupt town boss forced to hand the money over, wants it back and so hires/conscripts an inept outlaw named Cactus Jack Slade (Creator/KirkDouglas) and Slade's [[SapientSteed super-genius horse]] Whiskey into stealing it back. What [[HilarityEnsues then unfolds]] is literally a [[WesternAnimation/WileECoyoteAndTheRoadrunner live-action Roadrunner cartoon.]]
No relation whatsoever to the wrestler MickFoley.
!! This movie contains examples of:
* AnimalReactionShot: Whiskey gets into this territory a few time.
* ArentYouGoingToRavishMe: Charming is not subtle about what she wants.
* TheBadGuyWins: Or at least [[spoiler: thanks to the above trope, gets the girl in the end.]]
* BulletproofFashionPlate: Handsome Stranger never gets dirty. Ever.
* CallingYourAttacks: Cactus Jack does this in a saloon.
* ChasteHero: Handsome Stranger. [[spoiler: Because of this, he does NOT get the girl in the end.]]
* ChekhovsGun: A literal example. Handsome has [[spoiler: a seven-shot six shooter,]] which is established early on with a bit of dialog. At one point later, Cactus Jack [[spoiler: empties the bullets from the gun onto a table while counting them.]] Then, assuming the gun is now unloaded, [[IJustShotMarvinInTheFace accidentally shoots himself.]]
* ComplainingAboutRescuesTheyDontLike: Cactus Jack, after Whiskey saves him from being [[PowderTrail blown up]]. In fairness, Whiskey accomplishes this by kicking Jack out of range with his back feet.
* CoolHorse: Whiskey. The horse keeps reminding Slade of this all the time.
* DawnAttack: Indians never attack at night, because they're too busy pounding on [[JungleDrums THOSE DAMNED DRUMS!]]
* EvilWearsBlack: Cactus Jack
* GroinAttack: The evil Cactus Jack invites Nervous Elk to join him in [[RapeIsASpecialKindOfEvil ravishing Charming]]. Nervous Elk declines, saying that white women always [[FateWorseThanDeath hold back one bullet for themselves so they can't be raped]]. Except for that one woman who used her bullet to shoot Nervous Elk's balls off.
* HarmlessVillain: Cactus Jack is a horrible brigand. He isn't especially dangerous - he just isn't very good at it.
--> '''Chief Nervous Elk:''' Why does the banker want him watched? He needs to ''looked after''!
* HisNameReallyIsBarkeep: Handsome Stranger.
* HilarityEnsues: The movie runs on this.
* InjunCountry: Its border is marked by a literal white line drawn across the desert.
* InsistentTerminology: "''Cactus'' Jack Slade!"
* MadeOfIron: Cactus Jack survives cartoonish levels of violence and failure at different points in the movie. The guy's Kirk Douglas playing WileECoyote!
* MeaningfulName: Handsome Stranger was named after his father, whom he never met.
** Charming sort of falls into this category as well. She was named after the first thing her father said after she turned out to be a girl.
* PaintedTunnelRealTrain: One of Cactus Jack's ill-fated attempts to capture Handsome and Charming.
* PowderTrail: Another of Cactus Jack's attempted schemes leads to this.
* SnarkyNonHumanSidekick: Whiskey is a cool and loyal horse, but he's also a ''dick''.
* StickySituation: Yet another of Cactus Jack's schemes, which of course leads to him trying to figure out what went wrong by ''standing in a puddle of rubber cement on a railroad crossing.''
* ThrowTheDogABone: Cactus Jake at the end, oh so much.
* UpToEleven: Handsome has a seven-shooter.
* VillainProtagonist: Says so right there in the title!