''The Verdict'' is a 1982 courtroom drama film directed by SidneyLumet and written by Creator/DavidMamet, based on a novel by Barry Reed and starring PaulNewman.
Frank Galvin is a washed-up alcoholic attorney who hasn't won a case in years and who spends his time lying his ways into funerals. His friend, Mickey Morrissey, gets him a medical malpractice suit about a woman rendered comatose during surgery with a guaranteed large settlement.
However, a visit to the girl deeply affects him, and at the meeting with Archdiocese of Boston to hammer out the settlement, he rejects the money, deciding that this is his last chance to save himself and resolves to fight it out. This, of course, displeases everyone, from the family to the judge. His opponent in the trial is Ed Concannon, backed by a large and professional legal team.
To make matters worse, no one seems to be able to tell him what actually happened during the surgery. Also along the way he finds a lover in a woman named Laura, a complex relationship that isn't made any easier by the trial.
!!This Film contains examples of:
* TheAlcoholic: Galvin
* AmbulanceChaser: What Galvin is at the start. He rejects the settlement party to get out of this.
* AmoralAttorney: Both Galvin and Concannon have a bit of this, with Galvin not above lying and breaking into mailboxes, and with Concannon resorting to [[spoiler: having Laura spy on Galvin]], though on the other hand [[spoiler: he's quite disgusted when he finds out Dr. Towler really is guilty.]]
* AntiHero: Frank Galvin is a pretty scummy attorney, and even after he rediscovers his thirst for justice he's not above using tactics of questionable morality.
* DavidVersusGoliath: One attorney representing a small family versus a large high payed legal team payed for by the Catholic Church.
* TheJudge: Judge Hoyle, who wears his dislike for Galvin on his sleeve.
* MagicalNegro: Averted with Dr. Thompson. His slightly bumbling demeanor is not ObfuscatingStupidity. Despite his serene "there's nothing they can do to me" attitude, [[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin he really is just a plain old country doctor]].
* MametSpeak: Interestingly enough, Mamet limits his indulgences into this for the most part to a few scenes early on.
* TheMole: [[spoiler: Laura]]
* SceneryPorn: For admirers of grand old buildings. Filmed on location in Boston.
* WhatTheHellHero: The Doneghys confront Galvin when he goes to court without consulting them.
* WouldHitAGirl: Galvin, when he finds out [[spoiler: Laura is TheMole.]]