''The Unknown'' is a 1927 American silent horror film directed by Tod Browning and featuring Creator/LonChaney as carnival knife thrower Alonzo the Armless and a young Creator/JoanCrawford as the scantily clad carnival girl he hopes to marry.
Chaney plays a carnival performer known as the "Armless Wonder," who performs near-miraculous stunts with his bare feet. In fact, he is in possession of both his arms, but keeps them strapped to his side to maintain the illusion of being limbless. Alonzo's beautiful assistant Nanon (Crawford) has a pathological fear of being touched by any man. This leads Alonzo to believe that he is attractive to Nanon so long as his keeps his arms hidden. Halfway through the film, Alonzo murders the circus manager--a crime witnessed by Nanon, who was only able to glimpse Alonzo's distinctively mutated thumb. To cover up his crime, and to make himself the perfect mate for Nanon, Alonzo blackmails a doctor into amputating his arms. Upon returning to the carnival, the now-genuinely armless Alonzo learns to his horror that Nanon has overcome her aberration of being touched, thanks to handsome circus strong man Malabar (Norman Kerry). Enraged, Alonzo plots to kill Malabar in a horrible fashion...but guess who ends up seriously dead?
!!''The Unknown'' contains examples of:
* AnArmAndALeg: Alonzo blackmails a surgeon into amputating both his arms.
* BecomingTheMask: Alonzo really becomes armless. He decides to go with it when Cojo laughingly remarks that he forgot he has hands when he lights a cigarette with his feet.
* DeathEqualsRedemption: Averted. The ending text doesn't glorify Alonzo's sacrifice to save Nanon since his whole motivations were unheroic in the first place.
* DumbMuscle: Malabar could be seen as this.
* FriendZone: Alonzo winds up in Nanon's, and doesn't care for it one little bit.
* HandyFeet: Alonzo, who uses his feet to light cigarettes, throw knives, etc.
* HatesBeingTouched: Nanon has a phobia about being touched by men's hands. This fuels Alonzo's insane belief that he could be the perfect man for her.
* TheIgor: Cojo, somehow.
* KnifeThrowingAct: Not done with hands.
* MsFanservice: Nanon is this in Alonzo's act. In the act and out, she spends a good bit of the movie in her stage costume of a tank top and hot pants.
* ObfuscatingDisability: Alonzo pretends to be armless.
* RedRightHand: Alonzo has a double thumb on his left hand.
* SecretKeeper: Cojo the midget is the only one who knows Alonzo's secret and helps him keep it.
* ShootTheBuilder: In the original script (and deleted scenes), Alonzo murders the doctor who amputated his arms so he could never reveal Alonzo's secret.
* SlasherSmile: Alonzo's rictus grin when he finds out that Nanon and Malabar got married is something to behold.
* VillainousBreakdown: When Alonzo learns about Nanon and Malabar getting together, you can see in his eyes how torn apart he is.
* VillainProtagonist: Alonzo is a thief and murderer.
* WhatADrag: Malabar and Nanon have an act, where the strongman's arms are seemingly pulled in opposite directions by two horses (who are actually on hidden treadmills). Alonzo attempts to sabotage this act so Malabar is really ripped apart by the horses.