A 2009 romantic comedy starring Creator/GerardButler and Katherine Heigl, ''The Ugly Truth'' focuses on just that: the ugly truth between the differences of how men and women go about courtship, which can be boiled down to the placement of the hearts on the movie poster.
The main character Abby Richter is an uptight [=TV=] producer whose show isn't getting the ratings it needs to stay on air. In order to bring them back up, the station owner hires Mike Chadway to add his segment '[[TitleDrop The Ugly Truth]]' to their show. Mike's cynical outlook and relationship advice does not click with Abby's romantic beliefs and they constantly argue. Until Abby's dream man Colin moves in next door and she wants to get his attention. She cuts a deal with Mike: if his advice can land her the man she wants, proving his theories on relationships, she will work with him without complaint, but if it ''fails'', Mike agrees to quit.
Has nothing to do with ''DiaryOfAWimpyKid.''
!!This movie provides examples of:
* ADateWithRosiePalms: Mike encourages Abby to do this:
-->"If you don't want to have sex with you then why would Colin?"
* AllMenArePerverts: Deconstructed, Mike only acts the way he does because he was spurned by a woman in a previous relationship. Otherwise he shows genuine concern for Abby when she warms up to him.
* BeAWhoreToGetYourMan: What Mike advises Abby to do with Colin. It works. Also a complaint about the movie, as said below.
** Though in fairness to the film she realizes that doing this has netted her a rather phony relationship and ends up with the guy who knew her as herself.
* BrutalHonesty: The premise of Mike's show "The Ugly Truth" concerning relationship advice. Also a major part of his personality.
* CaughtOnTheJumbotron: Abby spills her drink on Colin's lap. She starts scrubbing quite vigorously. Of course, they get caught on the Jumbotron, and it looks like she's jerking him off.
* ControlFreak: Abby.
* EroticEating: Eat phallic shaped food to get your man.
* FriendsRentControl: Abby lives in a nice spacious apartment despite her running a failing TV network.
* HappyDance: Abby's spazzy dance, as Mike names it.
* HollywoodCalifornia: The movie was set in Sacramento, but was clearly filmed mostly in L.A., it even involved a balloon festival that is prohibited by Sacramento law.
* InnocentInnuendo: What follows when Abby spills Colin's soda.
* TheFirstCutIsTheDeepest: Subverted. Abby suspects that the reason Mike is such a sexist is because he had his heart broken by a woman once. But it turns out that it wasn't just ''one'' woman; his sexism developed because he was mistreated in ''every'' relationship he'd ever been in.
* TheImmodestOrgasm: The dinner scene.
* JerkassFacade: Mike, as evidenced when he corrects his nephew's behavior towards girls in his class and when he leaves Abby so she can be with Colin
* MatchmakerCrush: Mike for Abby
* OnlySaneMan: Abby is the only woman who doesn't find Mike's sexism irresistible.
* PlayingCyrano: Mike instructs Abby on how to ensnare and hold on to the handsome, and comparatively charming doctor of her dreams. Instead of being interested in the Roxane of the scenario, however, Mike's Cyrano ends up falling for Abby's Christian.
* PrecisionFStrike: Abby's been spending time with Mike, and it shows.
-->'''Mike:''' "Did you just say cock?"
* SingleWomanSeeksGoodMan: Abby, eventually.
* SlapSlapKiss: Mike and Abby's relationship.
* YouKnowWhatYouDid: Played for laughs during Abby and Colin's date at the baseball game