-->'''ABBY''': "You can love your pets, just don't ''love'' your pets."
'''''The Truth About Cats and Dogs''''' is a 1996 film involving a CyranoDeBergerac LoveTriangle. HollywoodHomely Abby Barnes (played by Creator/JaneaneGarofalo) is a radio veterarian, who falls in love with a caller to her radio show called Brian (played by Ben Chaplin). When Abby gets a blind date with Brian, her insecurity about her appearance causes her to send in her conventionally beautiful neighbor Noelle Slusarsky (played by Creator/UmaThurman). Of course, Noelle develops feelings for Brian too.
!!! "The tropes about cats and dogs":
* CleopatraNose: Ironically, Creator/UmaThurman has a noticeably bigger nose then Creator/JaneaneGarofalo's, thus reversing that aspect of the original book.
* TheGrovel: Ends with the woman grovelling to her male LoveInterest, oddly enough.
* HandOrObjectUnderwear: Uma Thurman and a stack of loudspeakers.
* HollywoodHomely: Played with: Creator/JaneaneGarofalo is beautiful by any normal standards. However, she considers herself far from attractive, especially when compared to Creator/UmaThurman. It's never stated if she is considered ugly InUniverse and Creator/UmaThurman has a serious case of self esteem issues where she considers herself ugly.
** Quoth Creator/RogerEbert: "The movie is based upon the presumption that Garofalo is not pretty, and of course she is."
* OldShame: Janeane Garofalo will not be happy if you tell her you loved this movie. [[spoiler: Among other things, she prefers how the script originally ended - with Abby ''not'' getting Brian.]]
* SplitScreenPhoneCall: a Phone Sex conversation between Abby and Brian.
--> '''ABBY''': "That night on the phone? I'm pregnant."