A 2009 straight to DVD film starring Creator/RobertCarlyle, Creator/KellyHu, and Creator/VingRhames, The Tournament is a game in a similar vein to ''Film/BattleRoyale'' - the characters are clearly drawn from both it and [[FollowTheLeader imitation]] ''Film/TheCondemned''.
The Tournament itself is an event staged every seven years. Thirty of the world's greatest assassins are gathered in one place, where they kill each other to the last man. The title of "World's Greatest Assassin" and lots of money is the official prize, but naturally most of the competitors are doing it for other reasons specific to them. This time around, things have been spiced up with a 24 hour time limit and the inclusion of a former champion - whose wife was murdered by a competitor this time. ItsPersonal.
A little known film, reviews are sparse, and seemingly mixed. Despite the FollowTheLeader premise and clear ClicheStorm, it remains entirely watchable, however.
!! This film contains examples of the following:
* ActionGirl: Lai Lai Zhen.
* AntiHero: Lai Lai Zhen is a killer for hire, but she doesn't kill [[InnocentBystander innocents]].
** Father Mac Avoy is another example. He's not immoral, but he's depressed and drunk.
* AntiVillain: Joshua Harlow, who, despite being a mass-murderer, is only doing it for revenge this time, and has genuinely given up the business besides that and self-defense.
* TheAtoner: [[spoiler: Lai Lai Zhen feels guilty because she killed Joshua's wife. She even mentions she would be okay with dying in the tournament]].
* AxCrazy: Miles Slade is the best example, but obviously half the cast qualify.
* BadPeopleAbuseAnimals: As if Miles Slade wasn't evil enough, he lures in a dog and shoots it in the head just because.
* BoomHeadShot: Many of the characters die in this way, starting with Steve Tomko in Lai Lai's hotel room.
* BoozeFlamethrower: In the strip club, Joshua spits a mouthful of high-proof booze through Miles' lighter as he is lighting his cigar, turning Miles into a ManOnFire.
* BusFullOfInnocents: ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin. Notably, Lai Lai Zhen and Father Mac Avoy actually hijack this one... while being chased by [[spoiler: a vengeful Joshua Harlow]] driving a semi-truck. For obvious reasons, they don't have time to evacuate the passengers.
* CigarChomper: AxeCrazy ProfessionalKiller Miles Slade completes his image as a boorish American by smoking huge cigars.
* ComeOutComeOutWhereverYouAre: Not explicitly quoted, but it is the film's opening scene.
* ConvenientlyPlacedSharpThing: When tied to a pole inside the strip club, Joshua is able to undo one of the screws enough to cut through his bonds.
* CreepySouvenir: Miles Slade cuts a finger off each of his victims as a souvenir.
* EasyEvangelism: Father Mac Avoy does this with Lai Lai Zhen, [[spoiler: and manages to convince her to spare Miles Slade's life. He dies anyway]].
* EvilLaugh: Miles Slade does this quite a few times.
* ExplosiveLeash: The tracking devices are this, on a 24 hour timer.
** What Lai Lai Zhen does to the first guy she encounters, Steve Tomko. He tries to strangle her with a wire, she manages to get behind him and cuts his fingers off with it. Then, she slams his mutilated hand into a wall.
** Miles Slade frequently collects sliced-off fingers from his dead victims as trophies, including from a very much alive Joshua Harlow.
* ForTheEvulz: Miles Slade genuinely enjoys killing, which is why he does it. It's not about pragmatism, or money, or any specific goal for him - just the fun of it. The smell specifically, for some reason.
* FreezeFrameBonus: A lot of extra details about the film are only revealed in this way, and thus are only visible by well-timed pauses while watching the DVD. This includes the names and odds of most of the competitors, which are visible on things like the characters' trackers and the big board in the viewing area.
* HeroStoleMyBike: Lai Lai and Father [=MacAvoy=] commandeer a bus at gunpoint to escape from Joshua.
* HighSpeedHijack: Bogart leaps from an overpass onto the top of a moving bus, and then smashes through the back window to get inside and fight Lai Lai.
* HitmanWithAHeart: Lai Lai Zhen easily qualifies, as she wants to win the money so she can retreat from society entirely, thus ensuring she won't kill any more innocent people. She also goes out of her way to help Father Mac Avoy throughout the film
** Joshua used to be this until [[ItsPersonal his wife was murdered]]
* IfYouKillHimYouWillBeJustLikeHim: [[spoiler: Father Mac Avoy invokes this dilemma on Lai Lai Zhen after she disarms and stabs Miles Slade's hand in place, and reduces the man to begging for his life.]]
* ILoveTheDead: Steve Tomko tells Lai Lai Zhen he will fuck her ''after'' he has killed her.
* ImpersonatingAnOfficer: When Father [=MacAvoy=] is in the alley attempting to throw up the tracker, a police car pulls up and a uniformed officer steps out. Father [=MacAvoy=] starts towards him before he pulls out a submachinegun as Lai Lai yells out that he's a player.
* InformedAbility: Supposedly, the competitors are 30 of the best assassins in the world, but very few of them show any of the actual skills one would associate with such a title. Most of them resemble either typical thugs or the kind of people who kill a specific person for a specific reason.
* InnocentBystander: Father Mac Avoy.
* JitterCam: Many of the fight scenes are shot this way, though it gets especially difficult to follow with nine assassins in the room.
* KickTheDog: Miles Slade invokes this fairly literally when he shoots a dog for no apparent reason. He also decides to aim at anyone, even to the point of not bothering to prioritise people actually fighting back, during the strip club shootout. [[spoiler:After surviving that, he then finishes off the girl he was dancing with, for no reason whatsoever.]]
* KillEmAll: It's a film about assassins, so this is to be expected. [[spoiler:Only Zhen and Mac Avoy survive, though the techs and the rich people gambling on the game are all fine too.]]
* LeParkour: Anton Bogart does this all the time. Seriously, it's his only character trait.
* LookBothWays: Tupalov stops his scooter in the middle of the motorway to take a shot at Lai Lai and Father [=MacAvoy=]. He is immediately hit by a bus.
* ManInWhite: Miles Slade dresses in a stylish white suit.
* ManOnFire: Joshua uses a BoozeFlamethrower to set fire to Miles Slade in the strip club.
* MuggedForDisguise: Tomko kills a bellboy and steals his uniform in order to deliver some RoomDisservice to Lai Lai's room.
* NeckSnap: How Anton Bogart dispatches of the female sniper, Gorel Mogerty.
* ObliviousJanitorCut: The service station attendant has his earbuds in and is looking away from the monitors, and so somehow fails to a notice a fight to death going on behind him between Lai Lai and Miles, despite them crashing through the glass door into the shop.
* OutfitDecoy: During the fight in the slaughterhouse, Joshua hangs his jacket over a cow carcass to trick Gene Walker into shooting it. Later he uses his shoes to distract Eddy Cusack in the ParkingGarage.
* PetTheDog: Bogart pays for Mac Avoy's coffee, getting him out of one crisis, having just gotten him into a bigger one since his own tracking device was in it.
* PineappleSurprise: This is how Lai Lai kills Petrov during the fight in the church. She throws him over her shoulder into the pews. She then holds up her hand to show a grenade pin dangling from her finger. Petrov gets an OhCrap look on his face and looks to his belt to see which grenade it is before he explodes.
* PopTheTires: When Lina Sophia attempts to rundown Lai Lai and Father [=MacAvoy=] while they are in a phone booth, Lai lai shoots out her front tyre, causing the vehicle to flip.
* PreMortemOneLiner: Every assassin Mac Avoy encounters in the first half of the film gives him one, conveniently allowing someone else time to get the drop on them and save the priest's life.
* ProfessionalKiller: Most of the cast, which is to be expected for a film about a tournament for assassins.
* RoomDisservice: Tomoko poses as a bellboy and delivers room service to Lai Lai's hotel room. This is a distraction to allow him to sneak in via the balcony.
* ScaryBlackMan: Joshua.
* SelfSurgery: Bogart uses his knife to cut the tracker implant out of himself.
* SuperWindowJump: Petrov enters the church by leaping through the window; immediately scattering a spray of grenades around him.
* TakingYouWithMe: Knowing that he is fatally wounded, [[spoiler:Joshua]] shoves a tracking device down [[spoiler:Powers]]'s throat, and then wraps his arms about him, keeping them both in position till the time runs out and they both explode.
* ThoseTwoGuys: Eddie and Rob, the two techs charged with keeping track of the players and monitoring their progress. They provide a running commentary and act as GreekChorus on the action.
* ThrowDownTheBomblet: Petrov announces his arrival in the church by scattering a spray of grenades across the floor. Lai Lai shoots the first one away from her, and has to dodge the rest.
* VehicularAssault: Joshua attempts to ram a bus off the road with a chemical tanker.
* WeirdnessCensor: Lai Lai Zhen gives this as the reason why the random killings, chaos and carnage caused by the tournament won't be questioned by the general population. A car crash or random murder, even a spree of them, is nothing unusual in a big city after all. It's heavily implied that the organisers are relying on this as well, to account for what their cleanup crews can't cover up in time.
* WhatHaveIDone: [[spoiler: Lai Lai Zhen realizes this after killing Joshua's wife, who was not only innocent but [[DroppingTheBombshell pregnant]]]].
* YourHeadASplode: The tracking devices implanted in the players can do this, as well as make the upper half of the torso asplode. Lai Lai also does this to another hitman when she pulls out the firing pin of a grenade that's still attached to him.