A 1959 Horror film with a famous Gimmick. Directed by the man who did it the best, William Castle.
VincentPrice plays Dr. Warren Chapin, who is researching the shivering or "Tingling" sensation fear causes within all humans. Dr. Warren is introduced to Ollie Higgins, the relative of a criminal sentenced to the electric chair, while making the autopsy of the corpse. Ollie asks for a lift to Dr. Warner, and introduces his deaf-mute wife, who manages a theater of their own.
He gives her Acid and Ollie "Helps" unbeknownst to the Doctor.
When Martha dies of fear, Dr. Warner makes her autopsy and finds a creature that lives inside every human being, a thing he had theorized on and jokingly referred to as "The Tingler", which appears to feed on fear and is kept in check by screams. The mute was unable to scream, and was frightened to death. The Tingler grew from a microscopic creature to the size of a human arm.
Dr. Warren removes the beast to study it, but it escapes... [[TheFourthWallWillNotProtectYou INTO THIS]] [[LargeHam VERY THEATER!]]
Yes, that was the gimmick.
Inside the theater were actors who were 'attacked' by the Tingler, and joy buzzers hidden under certain seats, as if the tingler were attacking you.
!! Tropes Include:
* AfraidOfBlood: Martha is. Of course, the [[BloodBath bathtub filled with blood]] would have freaked out most other people as well.
* AttackOfTheKillerWhatever: It's a living thing, that's true, but beyond that, no one figures out what exactly the tingler is. It looks like a [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychophora Velvet Worm]], super-sized.
* BodyHorror: A parasitic worm-lobster lives on your spine and grows when you're scared and is strong enough to break the spine.
* ForScience: Dr. Warner's primary motivation. He later regrets his actions.
* FrightDeathTrap: Ollie's plan to kill his wife. An LSD shot from the doctor helps exacerbate things.
* GainaxEnding: Yes, really. Ollie is left in his room and for no reason, the doors and windows lock and his dead wife rises...Is it because off the Tingler or somethng else?
* MushroomSamba: Contains quite possibly the first Acid Trip put to film. Not once, but twice.
* NoFourthWall: ''Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But scream! Scream for your lives! The Tingler is loose in this theater!''
* RichBitch: Dr. Warren's wife cuckolds him regularly.
* ScareChord: All over the place.
* SplashOfColor: Blood pouring in a sink and [[BloodBath filling a bathtub]] appears red in an otherwise completely black & white picture.
* YourCheatingHeart: Isabelle isn't faithful to Warren and he knows it. [[GettingCrapPastTheRadar Isabelle comes into the room putting on her earrings while Warren comments how the tie clip on the table isn't his.]]