[[caption-width-right:236:Are you eating it ''or is it eating you?'']]
->''Just can't get enough... of The Stuff!''\\
--'''Repeated commercial jingle.'''
''The Stuff'' is a 1985 Horror movie directed, written and executive produced by LarryCohen about a snack food that is actually a living, [[MindControl mind-controlling]], addictive... [[BuffySpeak stuff]]. It also apparently [[BodyHorror hollows out its victims]] and turns them into [[MadeOfPlasticine extremely fragile puppets]]. The movie is something of a [[AnAesop satire about consumerism]], with the world needing to be saved from a corrupt junk food empire.
The runaway success of The Stuff starts to cut into the profits of ice cream companies, so they hire David "Mo" Rutherford to do some industrial spying. He slowly uncovers that The Stuff's producers have a lot of secrets, and [[MayContainEvil people have all moved to a single town to produce it]]. With the help of a "Chocolate Chip Charlie", a former snack food mogul and martial artist, they discover [[AssimilationPlot the plot to export the parasitic monster]] to the world, and stop it with the help of a retired Colonel and his personal militia.
There's also an almost completely unrelated plot thread about a small kid who sees The Stuff moving and flat-out refuses to eat it, despite the increasingly creepy demands of his family that he do so. He flips out and destroys a grocery store trying to get rid of The Stuff, and for some reason the main cast comes and inducts him into the resistance after seeing a story about them in the news.
!! This film provides examples of:
* AngryGuardDog: Inverted in that the dog immediately takes to the visiting Mo, while its owner is terrified of it. Made funny by the fact that the "angry" is supplied by dubbed in growling and barking ([[MisplacedWildlife from the wrong breed of dog]]) and the camera cutting out its wagging tail as much as possible.
* AssimilationPlot: What the Stuff wants.
* AttackOfTheKillerWhatever: Marshmallow cream, by all appearances.
* BrandX: Oddly, the titular monster.
* [[spoiler: BlackDudeDiesFirst:]] [[spoiler: While Chocolate Chip Charlie doesn't technically "die" until he shows up again at the end of the film, he's the only member of the anti-Stuff team to end up getting turned into a Stuffie, and it's implied this happened fairly early on in the film.]]
* BlobMonster: The Stuff is occasionally this, though it prefers to appear in human hosts.
* BodyHorror: The Stuff tends to hollow out it's victims. It's also fond of massively distorting their bodies when it comes out of them.
* CatchPhrase : David "Mo" Rutherford.
--> [[IncrediblyLamePun "You know why the call me Mo? Because I always want mo'."]]
* ColdBloodedTorture: [[spoiler:Mo and the kid forcing the heads of the company that sold the Stuff to eat several pints of it at gunpoint until the cops show up.]]
* CorruptCorporateExecutive: All of the food executives (except Charlie), and especially Fletcher. Fletcher in particular knew the stuff was pure evil and was smart enough not to eat it himself, but was still fine with distributing it to the world.
* DownerEnding: [[spoiler:Despite all attempts to stop distribution of the Stuff, the film ends with several people addicted to it smuggling many containers of it away. The Stuff is ''still'' out there, with the strong implication that it can't be stopped now.]]
* TheEighties: The commercial shoot is nothing short of amazing--the hair, the music--the everything.
* FashionShow: An ad shoot for The Stuff is like this.
* TheFourthWallWillNotProtectYou: Ads for this movie famously treated the Stuff as though it were an actual product available in the real world.
* FunctionalGenreSavvy: The characters figure out they're in a movie about zombie-making, mind-controlling slime rather quickly with a minimum of obvious evidence.
* GoingFurASwim: The ad shoot mentioned above.
* IceCreamKoan: "Well, everybody has to eat shaving cream once in a while."
* ImpossiblyDeliciousFood: Played for horror.
* ItCameFromTheFridge: Not quite since it was evil before it got there, but the scene where the kid finds some moving around in invokes it.
* LawyerFriendlyCameo: "Chocolate Chip Charlie" bears a strong resemblance to [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Amos Wally Amos]], the creator of Famous Amos cookies.
* MadeOfPlasticine: The "Stuffies" break apart rather easily when punched.
* MayContainEvil: Boy howdy.
* MeatPuppet: The Stuff hollows out it's victims and can leave them hollow shells laying around when it's done with them.
* ObfuscatingStupidity: Mo uses it on his job.
* OnlySaneMan: Jason.
* PrettyInMink: The furs worn by the ladies in the ads.
* PoliticallyIncorrectHero: The Colonel has an obvious beef with black people, and the film doesn't gloss over it which is striking given the film's otherwise light tone. Granted, it seems to be less the traditional racial animus and more his perception that all black people are liberal communists.
* PuppeteerParasite: The Stuff initially focuses on getting the infectee devour more of it. When it reaches critical mass within the victim, it moves on to forced recruitment, organized distribution of the Stuff and finally plain aggression against anyone not infected with the Stuff.
* RightWingMilitiaFanatic: The Colonel is probably a parody.
* SealedEvilInACan: The Stuff apparently bubbles up from the center of the Earth.
** It also comes sealed in a convenient ice cream tub.
* SexSells: The ad shoot.
* SkewedPriorities: Spears' interrupts his men's charge through the streets of Atlanta to pay and tip the cabbies, and get receipts.
* SniffSniffNom: Pretty much how the movie starts.
* WhamLine: Mo' says it all.
--> '''Mo:''' Are you eating it? [[spoiler: Or is it eating you?]]