The Station Agent is a 2003 comedy-drama starring Creator/PeterDinklage, Patricia Clarkson, and Bobby Cannavale. Dinklage plays Finbar McBride, a quiet man who moves into an abandoned train depot which he inherits when his friend and coworker dies. The withdrawn Fin soon finds himself reluctantly enmeshed in the lives of his new neighbors.
The film won scriptwriter Thomas [=McCarthy=] the Independent Spirit Award for Best First Screenplay.
!!Contains the following tropes:
* AbandonedArea: an abandoned train station.
* DiscriminateAndSwitch: Fin has dwarfism, and is also passionate about trains, which leads to this exchange.
-->'''Joe''': Do they have clubs for you people?\\
''(Beat. Finbar and Olivia exchange glances.)''\\
'''Joe''' (oblivious): You know, for train watchers.
* DoggedNiceGuy: A rare heterosexual version. Joe is really interested in being Fin's friend, despite Fin being absolutely disinterested.
* LittlePeopleAreSurreal: Subverted. Fin is really just a normal, fairly boring person who gets frustrated when people treat him as if he's unusual because of his dwarfism.
* RailEnthusiast: Fin
* SexySpectacles: Invoked when Fin has a quasi-romance with a [[HotLibrarian librarian]] and his friends suggest he should buy her some glasses.