''The Specialist'' is a 1994 action film, directed by Luis Llosa.
The film opens in 1984. Ray Quick (Creator/SylvesterStallone) and Ned Trent (Creator/JamesWoods) are agents of the CIA and explosives experts. They have been tasked with assassinating a drug lord. When Ray notices that their target is accompanied by a little girl, he wants to call off the hit. Ned performs it anyway, killing both the drug lord and his girl. Ray is disgusted and quits their partnership and the agency. Ten years later, Ray has become a freelance assassin. Making a point of only killing specific targets, never bystanders. He also takes some cases for free, responding to requests by desperate people.
The latest such request comes from May Munro (Creator/SharonStone), a young woman who has an old grievance. While still underage, she witnesses the murders of both her parents by organized crime figures. Only because her father was a witness in some case. She was hiding in the closet and recognized one of the killers, Tomas Leon (EricRoberts). He happens to be the only son and heir to a mob boss. Years later, she located him, seduced him and infiltrated his organization. Now she needs a partner to help assassinate him and hopefully bring the organization down as well. That Ned is part of said organization is added incentive for Ray.
!!This film provides examples of:
* ArousedByTheirVoice: Ray and May enjoy listening to each other speak; so much so that they not only have long conversations on the phone, but Ray listens to recordings of her while working out, and May conducts at least one phone call while wandering around her apartment in sexy lingerie and high heels, with soft mood lighting and romantic music playing in the background.
* BlownAcrossTheRoom: What happens to several of Ray's targets. Granted, he ''is'' using explosives, but ''still''...
* ChewingTheScenery: Holy cow, James Woods must have crapped [[Creator/EastmanKodak Kodak]] film reels after this role.
* CIAEvilFBIGood: The CIA doesn't mind collateral damage, nor killing children. That is what disgusts Ray.
* DirtyBusiness: How Ned Trent viewed the killing.
* DirtyCop: Trent is getting paid by Leon Sr. to protect the organization from Quick.
* DoesNotLikeShoes: May, who is barefoot at the film's climax.
* IronicEcho: In the beginning of the film taking place in 1984, Ned says this to Ray during their CIA mission:
-->'''Ned''': Here's a tip: No fail-safe.
** Fast forward to 1994, Ray says the same exact thing to Ned near the end of the movie when Ned steps on a bomb causing the booby-trapped warehouse to blow up.
-->'''Ray''': Here's a tip: No fail-safe.
-->'''Ned''': Pressure pads?
* KickTheDog: The killing of the young girl at the beginning.
* PayEvilUntoEvil: Ray supposedly only kills villains. May seduces and betrays her enemy. Even risking her own life to be there and watch his face as he dies.
* ProfessionalKiller: Ray Quick. His specialty is explosives, making him also a Professional MadBomber.
* RageAgainstTheHeavens: Leon Sr.'s final action [[OhCrap upon noticing the bomb he just triggered within May's necklace]] is to look up and yell at God "You ''bastardo!''". [[TemptingFate Considering that one second before he was thanking Him for killing Ray and May…]]
* ShowerOfLove: Ray and May have sex in the shower.
* SmokingIsCool: Tomas is seldom seen without a cigarette or cigar, and very obviously considers himself to be an ubercool toughguy.
* SmokingIsGlamorous: Sharon Stone smokes ''constantly'' throughout the film, and in several scenes it is done in a ''very'' sexual, sensual fashion.
* SoftWater: A bomb in a hotel room launches someone through a window and into the sea, but he seems unharmed by either the blast or the fall. [[ItMakesSenseInContext Then the hotel room itself falls on him.]]
* YouKilledMyFather: Actually both parents, but this why May hates Tomas so much--enough to dedicate her life to vengeance.