->''The spring is not for me...''
A 1943 classic about the life of [[http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernadette_Soubirous Saint Bernadette Soubirous]], a shepherdess and later nun who saw eighteen visions of the Virgin Mary at Lourdes when she was a teenager. The film starred Linda Darnell, Charles Bickford, Gladys Cooper, William Eythe, Creator/VincentPrice, Anne Revere, and Creator/JenniferJones in an Academy Award-winning turn as Bernadette.
From Website/IMDb: "In 1858 France, Bernadette, an adolescent peasant girl, has a vision of "a beautiful lady" in the city dump. She never claims it to be anything other than this, but the townspeople all assume it to be the Virgin Mary. The pompous government officials think she is nuts, and do their best to suppress the girl and her followers, and the church wants nothing to do with the whole matter. But as Bernadette attracts wider and wider attention, the phenomenon overtakes everyone in the town, and transforms their lives."
* UsefulNotes/AcademyAward: Won four, including Best Actress for Jennifer Jones and Best Original Score for Music/AlfredNewman, and was nominated for eight more, including Best Director, Best Supporting Actress (Gladys Cooper and Anne Revere), Best Supporting Actor (Charles Bickford), Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Picture.
* BrickJoke: It's not really a joke, but it qualifies as a brick. When we first see Bernadette, she's being chastised by Sister Vauzous for not having memorized a catechism lesson due to illness. Father Peyramale is passing out holy cards. She gets one of the Shepherds at the Nativity (extra meaningful to her, as this was her former occupation), but Sr. Vauzous makes her give it back because she is "not deserving." At the very end, just as Bernie leaves for the convent, Fr. Peyramale gives her the card saying "if you need me, just send me this". She is deeply overcome.
* ChristianityIsCatholic: Of course, but entirely justified.
* TheDeterminator - PluckyGirl: The Lady, and Bernie herself. The Lady wants her chapel and processions, and Bernie's going to see that she gets them, even if she has to stand up to the formidable Fr. Dominique Peyramale. Twice.
* EgocentricallyReligious: Sister Vauzous thinks Bernadette is this. [[OhCrap She's wrong]].
* HeelRealization: Sister Vauzous, along with her MyGodWhatHaveIDone.
* HollywoodNuns: This film was the initial TropeCodifier. But every detail was meticulously researched.
* IllGirl: [[spoiler:Bernadette, who has tuberculosis. Again, TruthInTelevision: Bernadette was always delicate thanks to her asthma, but she died of bone tuberculosis when in her thirties]].
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Sister Vauzous, after her OhCrap moment.
* NunsAreSpooky: Well, Sister Vauzous certainly is.
* NunsNRosaries: Yes, but also justified.
* OhCrap: Sister Vauzous (veteran stage actress Gladys Cooper), upon realizing just how very, ''very'' wrong she was in assuming that Bernadette had never truly suffered and therefore didn't deserve the visions she received. ''[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cs9ofAuWFw&feature=player_detailpage#t=3508 Twice]]''.
* RunningGag: The Saint Christopher medals.
* TheReasonYouSuckSpeech: Sister Vauzous gives Bernadette one at the tail end of the film about how she has never known real suffering, only for Bernadette to reveal that [[spoiler:she has been living with the impossibly painful condition tuberculosis of the bone in her legs for years]].
* TakingTheVeil: Bernadette is "encouraged" to do this, because the authorities think that having a real-life saint living in the real world is a generally bad idea. Bernadette herself would have liked marriage and a family, but doesn't seem ''too'' upset at joining the convent instead. (The real Bernadette, however, became a nun out of her own volition ''and'' because she hated having all the attention on her.)
* TooGoodForThisSinfulEarth: Bernadette, of course.
* TurnTheOtherCheek: Bernadette lives by this rule.
* UnderstandingBoyfriend: Antoine Nicolau. He believes Bernadette the instant he sees her in communion with her lady. Although he admits to his mother that he feels "[[IncorruptiblePurePureness one ought not even to touch a being like that]]", he still wants to marry her.
** Actually averted in real life: Antoine and Bernadette ''really'' were JustFriends. And he was already married to someone else, anyway.
* WaifProphet: Bernadette - TruthInTelevision.
* WhamLine: "Maybe there is something I can do," says Bernadette immediately prior to revealing her [[spoiler:crippling leg tumour and tuberculosis of the bone]].