Described by ''Series/MysteryScienceTheater3000'' as "like ''[[Film/ManosTheHandsOfFate Manos]]'' without the lucid plot", ''The Skydivers'' is less a horror movie and more a very dull soap-opera, about the employees of a small parachuting club.
The "plot" involves the eponymous skydivers getting away from their bland, loveless marriages with bland, loveless affairs, watching Creator/ColemanFrancis's extended family go-go dancing, and either killing, dying, or suffering total mental breakdown as a result of all the deaths. They even skydive, occasionally.
Apparently to make up for the almost dialogue-free ''Film/TheBeastOfYuccaFlats'', the film consists almost entirely of stilted dialogue punctuated by midair footage of parachutists. That would be fine, if the dialogue wasn't all like this:
->'''Beth:''' Do you want some coffee?\\
'''Joe:''' Coffee? I ''like'' coffee!
Still, ''Skydivers'' is merely "poor" by comparison with the final film in Creator/ColemanFrancis' trilogy... ''Film/RedZoneCuba''.
For tropes and specifics relating to the ''[[Series/MysteryScienceTheater3000 MST3K]]'' version, please see the [[Recap/MysteryScienceTheater3000S06E09TheSkydivers episode recap]].
!!This film contains examples of:
* DownerEnding: [[spoiler:Harry is killed, leaving Beth alone and jobless as their parachuting business goes under.]]
* DullSurprise: Tony Cardoza as Harry, who doesn't seem to be all that shocked by... well, anything.
* FemmeFatale: Suzy, who manipulates love-struck Frankie into helping her murder Harry.
* MaleGaze: Many shots of the black girl's nice butt wiggling back and forth in front of the camera.
-->'''Servo:''' Now this here is the butt of choice.\\
'''Mike:''' Yeah, it won the Palme D’Butt at Cannes.\\
'''Servo:''' [[HehHehYouSaidX Heh Heh. Can]]
* OncePerEpisode: A vigilante gunning down someone from a plane? It must be a Coleman Francis film!
* ProductPlacement: One scene has a very obvious van in the background advertising a local restaurant. The camera actually seems more focused on the van than the characters. The fact this is done during what's supposed to be a tense and emotional scene makes it extremely jarring.
* RevengeBeforeReason: Suzy invents a stupid plot to kill Harry because she's angry at being jilted, pretty much. Despite the fact she's apparently wealthy and she has another man who's willing to do anything for her, while Harry has a stale marriage and a three-man sport parachuting business. She has nothing to gain from his death, but she does it anyway.
-->'''Tom Servo''' Now that Harry's dead, we get all the...what do we get?
* RichBitch: Downplayed with Suzy. In her own words, she's "so mean" because her "paw gave [her] everything." Her money isn't really an important plot element, though. If not for that one scene we'd never even know she's rich.
%% * SilentCredits
* ShownTheirWork: One point in the movie's favor: the skydiving is 100% accurate, including the [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_fixation target fixation]] scene, which is a real danger to skydivers. (Considering the film was shot around a real skydiving school, it should be.)