''The Skulls'' is a 2000 American psychological thriller film starring Creator/JoshuaJackson, Creator/PaulWalker and Creator/LeslieBibb, directed by Creator/RobCohen. Its plot is based upon some of the conspiracy theories surrounding Yale University's Skull and Bones student society.
The film was critically panned, but successful enough to spawn two direct-to-video sequels, The Skulls II, directed by Joe Chappelle and starring Robin Dunne, Ashley Lyn Cafagna and The Skulls III, with Clare Kramer as the first woman member of the society.
!! This movie provides examples of:
* AccidentalMurder: Subverted. When Luke's best friend Will ends up dead, and he suspects his new friend Caleb. He watches the security tapes, and sees Will fall off a ledge to the floor below (which isn't enough to kill him), but Caleb grabs his legs to try to save him. He doesn't hold on, and Will falls on his head, and a cracking sound can be heard. Caleb assumes he accidentally broke Will's neck and leaves. However, Luke then continues watching and realizes Will is still alive, until Caleb's father's men arrive and finish off Will.
* AllThatGlitters: Despite the possibility of having his ideal life handed to him on a silver platter as opposed to the way he was struggling before, Luke very rapidly realizes that being a Skull isn't all it's cracked up to be when he discovers how corrupt the group is.
* AncientConspiracy: Not so much ancient but fits all of the criteria.
* BaitAndSwitchGunshot: After the bad guys have cornered Luke and Chloe, one of them is about to shoot him. We hear the sound of gunshots. . .coming from the detective who until now has been acting like one of the bad guys but just revealed himself to be on Luke's side by taking out his would-be killer.
* BigBrotherIsWatchingYou: Caleb warns--outright begs--Luke to stop digging into Will's death, telling him that both of their dorm rooms as well as that of Luke's friend Chloe are bugged and that The Skulls know what he's been up to.
* Big No: Caleb, after supposedly accidentally killing Will
* BlackBestFriend: Will
* BlackDudeDiesFirst: Will again.
* BreakHisHeartToSaveHim: Subverted. Luke and Chloe stage an argument in which he dumps her--when they weren't even dating, just dealing with a lot of UnresolvedSexualTension--in order to make The Skulls think that she's no longer important to him.
* CaptainErsatz: As mentioned in the recap, the university and the "Skulls" stand in for Yale and it's Skull and Bones society.
* CarFu: Some of The Skulls' hired goons try to run Chloe and Luke off the road.
* DealWithTheDevil: Metaphorically speaking. The Skulls can make you in whatever field you choose and let you live the life you want... at the low, low price of murder, manipulation, blackmail and fraud.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: Litten Mandrake, who has done numerous despicable things throughout the film, including allowing his son to think he was responsible for a murder ''he'' ordered, is utterly disgusted at co-conspirator--who is himself displaying this trope--Ames Levritt's choice of a lover, even while freely admitting to his own infidelities--"My God, man, she's only ''19!''"
* FriendsRentControl: Luke, Chloe, and Will live in dorm rooms that are bigger and nicer than some people's apartments, even though it's repeatedly stated that Luke is struggling financially.
* MakeItLookLikeAnAccident: Will's murder, made to look like a suicide. That said, Luke is suspicious from the get-go--Will wasn't depressed and he knows he was snooping into the background of The Skulls.
* ThePowersThatBe: The Skulls control America in the setting.
* RagsToRiches: Luke goes from a working class schlub who's had to struggle all his life and is only at this prestigious university via scholarship to having $20,000 in the bank and a guaranteed acceptance to the law school of his choice before he's even applied, all thanks to membership in The Skulls.
* RecycledInSPACE: Several film critics likened this movie to a college version of ''Film/TheFirm''.
* ScaryBlackMan: Subverted with the detective investigating Will's death, as he acts in a very intimidating manner towards Luke before it's revealed that he's been Luke's ally all the while.
* ScrewTheRulesImDoingWhatsRight: Becoming filthy rich overnight as well as a guaranteed acceptance to the law school of his choice--before he's even applied--and essentially having his entire life handed to him on a silver platter as opposed to the way he was struggling before is NOT worth ignoring his friend's murder and the cover-up of numerous other illegal activities that The Skulls are involved in.
* ShowerOfLove: Luke and Chloe hide out in his bathroom with the shower running to mask the sound of their voices, as his room is bugged. She declares her love for him, they start kissing, and sure enough. . .
* WellDoneSonGuy: Levritt outright says this to Luke at the end of the film, when Luke has not only managed to expose the corruption of The Skulls, he refuses to have anything more to do with the group despite Levritt's insistence that he will make changes.
** Caleb, sadly, is craving this from his father, who is clearly disappointed in his lack of ambition or desire to follow in his footsteps.