'''''The Sinister Urge''''' is another Creator/EdWood exploitation piece from 1961. This time, the particular vice covered is pornography, and the attendant evils that come from it.
The ColdOpen starts with a girl being chased in the park, and reaching a phone booth to call for the police before being murdered. The clues end up leading a couple of righteous police detectives to a pornography syndicate. Can the syndicate be busted before more girls are killed?
For the ''MysteryScienceTheater3000'' version, please go to the [[Recap/MysteryScienceTheater3000S06E13TheSinisterUrge episode recap page]].
Not to be confused with the Music/RobZombie album which took its name from this movie.
!!''The Sinister Urge'' contains the following tropes:
* AllCrimesAreEqual: Making porn, murder, kidnapping, selling drugs, same thing!
* AuthorAvatar: Johnny Ride is Ed Wood, with the RealitySubtext that right after ''The Sinister Urge'', Wood's projects were all softcore porn.
** Ride's office is even fastooned with posters for ''Film/JailBait'', ''Film/BrideOfTheMonster'' and ''TheViolentYears''.
* BrawnHilda / AmazonianBeauty: Mary Smith, the girl Johnny coerces into doing porn (posing fully clothed in partly-diaphanous flowing robes.)
* BreakTheCutie: The sequence where Johnny Ride pretends to discover a would-be actress [[CountryMouse new to the city]] and tricks her into going so far into debt that he and Gloria can blackmail her into doing porn for them. Inevitably (by the film's logic), Dirk kills her after seeing her pictures, and she ends up as just the latest "Jane Doe" the police have to deal with.
* BreakTheHaughty: "[[VillainousBreakdown That's not Dirk. Nuh-uh...]]"
* ColdOpen: The movie dumps us right into a chase scene.
* ConvictionByContradiction: At the end of the film, Gloria shoots Johnny for asking to meet her [[TheManBehindTheMan backers]] -- except that she ''actually'' shot Dirk, who'd threatened Johnny earlier and shanked him while Gloria was getting her gun. Gloria then calls the police to report that she'd had to shoot Johnny, and talks herself into a corner by the time they finally show her Dirk's body (and Johnny's body stuffed in the bushes).
* CreatorCameo: Ed Wood is one of the, ahem, [[DawsonCasting "teenagers"]] fighting at the pizza shop.
* DawsonCasting: The, ahem, "teenagers" at the pizza shop.
* EasyEvangelism: The businessman who comes to complain about the vice squad going after porn instead of "real crimes" is convinced quickly of the evils of pornography with no real evidence and little more than the argument "How would you like it if YOUR daughters were porn stars?"
* FanDisservice: Gloria and Johnny's kiss.
* FelonyMisdemeanor: Apparently, taking pictures of girls in bathing suits is an arrestable offense.
* KnifeNut: Dirk.
* LegacyCharacter: Kline the cop appeared in other Wood films, including ''Film/Plan9FromOuterSpace''.
* NoIndoorVoice: Gloria, about 85% of the time.
* OffscreenTeleportation: Dirk (on foot) beating Johnny (driving) back to Gloria's place.
* PsychoForHire: Dirk.
* StockFootage: The pizza shop was footage from ''Rock and Roll Hell'', an unfinished Wood project. Wood spliced in Dirk listening in to an ADR, off-camera conversation between two characters.
* TemptingFate: Letting someone you know goes AxCrazy when they see porn work around a porn racket.