%% ZeroContextExample entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Add context to the entries before uncommenting them.
->''"There's never a cop around when you need one."''
-->-- '''Robert Neville''', the last man on Earth.
The second, and perhaps the best-known, screen version of ''Literature/IAmLegend'', ''The Omega Man'' was released in 1971 and directed by Boris Sagal.
The film stars Creator/CharltonHeston as Robert Neville, a military scientist who saves himself at the last minute from the fallout of biological warfare between the Soviet Union and China. The end result is that he's now the last man on Earth, and so he spends his existence just trying to survive. This is complicated by a group of survivors, now mutated into albino mutants and led by the charismatic Matthias (Anthony Zerbe). "The Family," as they call themselves, have set out to eliminate all traces of civilization, Neville included.
Has nothing to do with ''[[VideoGame/MegaManStarForce MegaMan: Star Force]]'', we can assure you. Nor does it have anything to do with ''Comicbook/OmegaMen''.
!!This work features examples of:
* AndThenJohnWasAZombie: At the climax, Lisa becomes a part of the Family.
* ApocalypseHow: This was a result of DepopulationBomb in the form of TheVirus.
* BittersweetEnding: [[spoiler:The last survivors have been given the cure to the disease, in the form of Neville's blood, and are able to move far away to seek a new life--but Neville is dead and Mathias is still alive, and he may or may not hunt them down eventually.]]
* BlackDudeDiesFirst: The first of the survivors to be killed by The Family is Richie--who is both black and ''a kid''.
* DiseaseBleach: Kicks in instantly and [[NoOntologicalInertia just as instantly reverses]] when someone is cured.
* EvilAlbino: The Family. The plague mutated into something that turned many of the survivors into albinos but it still kills in the long term.
* EvilCannotComprehendGood: [[spoiler:Matthias refuses to believe Richie that Neville will cure them and accuses him of being a spy and kills him.]]
* EvilGloating: The albinos can't stand bright light. The head of the Family is preparing to kill the hero in a darkened stadium at night. Head bad guy to followers: "Darkness is triumphant!". Then the stadium lights come on.
* EvilLuddite: The Family is an entire group full of them--Mathias believes that anything and everything Man has made (from cars to guns to paintings) is a sign of his corruption and must be destroyed. Once the last scientist on Earth is dead at his hands, the survivors are forced to leave the city to live [[TheSimpleLifeIsSimple lives of backbreaking agrarian toil in the countryside]]
* FromNobodyToNightmare: Mathias was just some random news broadcaster that snapped as the world came to an end and denounced Man's technology and the politics of its users as the reason the world came to an end -- fast-forward a few years and he became the head of a murderous luddite cult of personality that destroys anything and any''body'' unlucky enough to be declared an enemy of said cult (and this is without taking into account the whole "mutant albino" thing).
* GhostCity: Los Angeles. The establishing shots of a lifeless L.A. were achieved by filming on Sunday mornings when there was almost no traffic. It works for the most part except for one shot where the viewers can see another car moving in the distance, and a random pedestrian.
* GoneHorriblyWrong: The Reds and the Americans both used biological weapons on a major battle on the backstory. Unfortunately, the weapons combined and mutated, turning into a super-virus that killed almost everybody... and in more ways than one, the dead were the lucky ones.
* InNameOnly: Not even that really. But in [[Literature/IAmLegend the original book]] it's vampires, not mutants, Neville is an everyman, not a scientist-soldier and it's a lot more morally ambiguous.
* InfantImmortality: Children have an immunity to the plague, but it wears off when they get older.
* ItWontTurnOff: "THERE IS NO PHONE RINGING!"
* LastOfHisKind: Initially, Neville thinks he is.
* ObliviouslyEvil: The Family are convinced that Neville is the real evil one because his use of technology.
* ShutUpHannibal: Matthias and Neville's exchange
-->'''Matthias''': You are discarded. You are the refuse of the past.
-->'''Neville''': You are full of crap.
* SoleSurvivingScientist: Robert Neville.
* TechnologyMarchesOn: Whilst it was probably very impressive and advanced at the time; today that infrared scope on the top of Neville's BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) is absolutely ''huge.''
* WallSlump: Neville, in a fountain at the end after being wounded by Matthias. Combined with CrucifiedHeroShot.
* WouldHurtAChild: Richie goes to the Family's base and tells them that Neville is working on a cure for their disease. Mathias kills him and leaves his dead body for display on said base.