KIK Corporation is attempting to dig for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Environmentalist James Hoffman is on hand to make sure everything is on the up and up, much to the chagrin of drilling team leader [[Creator/RonPerlman Ed Pollack]]. With the schedule being grounded to halt due to an unusually warm winter and Hoffman's erring on the side of caution, Pollack's patience is wearing thin. With another team member showing signs of cabin fever and added drama of Hoffman sleeping with a former lover of Pollack's, tempers and tensions run high.
Is it all an unfortunate coincidence, perhaps hydrogen sulfide gas released from the permafrost, or is something much more sinister and super natural lurking in the harsh Alaska climate?
!!This film contains examples of:
* DrivenToSuicide: [[spoiler: Almost played straight. The character was technically killed; however he DID disrobe to go out into the freezing winter night.]]
* [[spoiler:TheEndOfTheWorldAsWeKnowIt: Implied by the title and the ending. At the very least, Hoffman wakes up in a city destroyed by the same phenomena that were affecting his team.]]
* [[strike:Green]] [[GreenAesop White Aesop ]]
* JerkAss: Mostly Pollack, though Hoffman comes across this way as well, intentionally or otherwise. Eventually they have to team up, though.
* MysteriousAntarctica: Alaska this time, but pretty much played straight.
* SpaceWhaleAesop: Stop drilling for oil in Alaska, or [[spoiler:ghost moose will destroy human civilization. No, really.]]